Friday, April 20, 2007

DAMMIT JIM!

Reminders... Dadgummit... I'm reminded again of the doc spankin' our butt to indoctrinate us into the world.. get us going... motivation...

As we age, sometimes insteada spanks we get reminders...

There's a fella here at work... Awesome feller... He's an institution here because he's been here forever and ever... is probably the best friend of the owner... Always has quick wit... saturated with fun tease.. and there ain't a sole in the joint that doesn't love him. He's 72 - and like most of us to come, apparently social security just doesn't hack it..

Bellying up to his office (the before 8am coffee hangout for 'the guys').. he spoke of "tonight I'm going to see my buddy @ the hospital... he's just had open heart surgery and I understand he's not doing too good... ya know I don't have many friends" - AND HERE'S WHERE I OPENED MOUTH AND INSERTED FOOT. I laughed. Knowing the wonderful old codger - I thought he was literally teasing when he said "I don't have many friends" because as I mentioned EVERYONE loves him. What he was saying withouth saying was:

"Look around... one day people your age will drop... or they will change... or they'll move... or situations will change... health problems will set in... mental deteriation happens... of course, the ones you loved that were older won't be around."

Dammit Jim. Or... thanks Jim. Thanks for the reminder. Thanks for the spanking. I'm awakened again. I get it. I promise to keep that in the backa my mind when I walk by a friend.. it'll help me to wing a smile, a wave or a tease...

I might even give those older than me both a smile AND a tease... please remember (Victor, don't preach) - GD I know.. and for the 756th time I'M TALKING TO MYSELF TOO... remember... one day we'll be left to state "I don't have many friends" - so, let's love the hell outta the ones we do still have left now.

Lovin' the hell outta you, Victurd

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Although we have yet to have lunch as I suggested several months back AND I don't ever see you...I love the hell outta you. Just thought you should know that.

We WILL have that lunch one day when I settle into being in town for more than a few!

Check engine light said...

Well... lunch sounds spiffy... and I love you too... and, u turd, I was the one that suggested it in the first place if you hunt in your noggin'! It was like April of last year.. and u said "yeah...schedule crazy, but that'll work sometime in June" or something similar! Let's share lunch though sometime - that'd be cool.