Saturday, March 17, 2007

Green Day...

We men are lost. I've never quite figured out why (today still) women make - on average - 20% less than men.

Men are lost. We are. Shit, I'll admit it. Someone I hung around with for 20 years or so once said "you need someone." Yeah, think she was right.

Great ariticle this morning in KC paper rehashing a NY Times ariticle that announced "there are more single women out there now than there are married women." More and more women are simply saying "hey... I'm Ok... I'll make it... screw the common perceived theory a woman can't make it in today's day and age withouta man." And they can.

For men, tis a little different. Living alone sucks, it really does. Ask any man living alone. Ok, I started dating this gal... She's wonderful.. I have no desire here at home, to lift a finger. I could givea rats ass if last Thursday's KC Star sits on the bathroom counter - or if the empty Frito bag is still sitting on the kitchen counter literally inches from the trash can.

The cover to the sofa (sofa and loveseat destroyed by cats - guess they needed a scratching post) has been missing (Maynard) for three weeks. It looks like hell. But, I don't care. I ain't even looked for it. However, if'n'when I'm at Kathies - I feel like helping, lifting fingers. It's a good feel.

I think for most men, the 'lost' part all goes back to the mother-son relationship. Sure, father is the role model for our ways - is generally the little league coach, the receiver in a gamea catch out back - but it's the mother who molds. The mother who teaches. The mother who, by example, imbeds care and concern in us men. We men are stinkative... most women are instinctive. You can cut and paste this on my cubicle wall at work - I don't givea shit - it's true... only difference 'tween me and some other men is they know it, but would never openly admit to it.

I spoke not long ago about the impactive people of my past... Grundy (the PE teacher/V.Principal - "Mr Calm")... Rod White... Mr. Indian Dance Nail... The science teacher who wrote the "D" on my grade card.. etc. Whilst they all really did have an impact on me - none can hold a candle to my mother.

The mother-son relationship - how devine. Even today as I visit with Kathie - I'll be in a quandry needing advice - she'll be right on with an answer... I'll ask 'how'd u deduct that so quickly?"... "it's the mom in me." She's got three sons - and I know her ex is a good man - but I bet you every one of her sons would speak as I do of their mother-son relationship.

Man needs woman. The converse, so says the NY Times, may not be so true. Our society in so many ways is screwed up - whilst I don't blame women - I hope it's not a sign of future times. Maybe the day will come when peanut butter is no longer in man's ear. The great thing - is every day a new mother-son relationship happens. That alone provides hope.

Today woulda been my mother's 86th birthday. She's been gone twenty years now - but there's not a day she's not on my brain. I still hear the phone calls "How's my Victor?" I can still see her throwing an extra blanket on me. I can still hear her as she hold's her breath throughout my cough. I can still taste her Spanish Rice. I can still see her wonderful smile. Poor lady, she got 40-some years worth of green clothing for her birthday... She proudly wore them all. 'Sides, she looked great in green.

Happy Green Day... I love you all.. and I love and miss you mom... Victurd

No comments: