Tuesday, January 02, 2007

People let me tell you bout my best friend.....

He's a warm-hearted person who'll love me to the end...

I don't think I've ever spoken about my best friend. He simply rocks.. We go way, way back – and there's not one single thing in my life he doesn't know about... Sometimes when he sees me he'll say "you look like shit, why don't you go back to bed for a couple of hours" – and then again, sometimes he'll say "hell yeah, you got it goin' on - at least for an old man you do."

There are secrets that no one, absolutely no one knows besides me and my best friend. Some days when I'm down he'll laugh and say "lighten up you little cocksucker" – and then there are days he'll tell me – "hey, you need to get down to business – NOW"...

Occasionally, I'll get a little head-swollen about an accomplishment – and he's quick to step in and remind me "you're just a common man, drive a common van – your dog ain't got no pedigree"... Then, other times I'll be beating myself up pretty good and he'll remind me "hey, you dumbass - you're human – we all make mistakes – so, get over it and quit your whining"... yeah, I need this feller in my life.

He's the hardest person I know on me... He's also the biggest softy I know at times as well. If I ever border on doing, saying anything with prejudice – the bastard thankfully steps in to remind me I'm doing so. He hates prejudice. He reminds me – "hey, we all came from somewhere – didn't your ancesters come over here from Germany? – So WTF difference is that from someone coming from Mexico.. or Africa... or the Philippines? Lighten up you prick." Yeah, he’s right... dammit...

Believe me, he's certainly not without his own problems.. He'll sometimes be outta shape - and go on a binge and get all toned up... He'll also go on little eating binges – or yes, drinking binges... He can be a great friend, neighbor, relative. He can have callous thoughts – but he tries to balance and exhibit a heart of gold. I admire him – but occasionally too I will be the first to chastise him.

I suppose like any best friend – we've had our outs. Sometimes I get sick of him and he sick of I. Sometimes I wish I'd never met him – sometimes we visit for hours on end rehashing yesterday – and planning for tomorrow.

Yes, my best friend is me. Sorry, as I know that's probably wrong – but I think if we all look internally – we see someone we can confide in – someone who gives us balance – someone who'll kick our ass when our ass needs kicking. Someone who loves our friends and relatives as we do... I do like me. Yes, I have my moments where I don't – and I have my moments where I get down as hell. Having that best friend during those times really, really helps me. So, it ain't Eddie's father. It ain't Sanford. It ain't Nancy. It's me. My best friend is me. Tis my hope you like yourself too, but, not too much. Tis my hope you're filled to the brim with confidence, but that you don't let it go to your head. Tis my hope there are times when you feel great about being dressed to the T – and other times where a baggy shirt and sweatpants really really feel good.

Life, it be good – whether my best friend believes it or not. He's my one boy, cuddly toy, my up, my down, my pride and joy. Love, Victurd and Victurd.

No comments: