Friday, January 19, 2007

I love my friend Rick....

Ok, you've heard this before – not a gay bone in my body – and that's true. That ain't the kinda love I'm talking about… Last night – as I headed back to Liberty – twas 9-ish and I just wasn't ready to go home. Yes, swung by that place – went in – small, comfy crowd.

Standing at the bar – was my friend Rick. Rick's my age – we'd played more games of softball/baseball together than I can remember – and had spent as many if not more hours before games, traveling, after games, practices, social settings – etc.

Walked up to offer my hand in friendship – received his smile – gave mine back – and just then I noticed a tear coming from his left eye. "What's wrong Rick?"... Awww, nothing... I'm Ok... "No come on, something's up – please tell me."

Well... I just dropped my buddy Tom off… (Tom is a 50-something stroke victim – who outwardly isn't the same person he usedta be.. His speech is affected, his right side no longer moves as his left, he's slower... but it's the same ole Tom inside) I just feel so badly for him. I wish there were something I could simply do for him medically. Tonight, we had a few beers – and now I worry that he's maybe falling down inside his house. I walked him to the door – and he made it in Ok.

I'm thinking here's this big, burly, puppy dog of a man – and he's crying because he simply can't do anything for his friend. "Rick, you're so wrong... what you did tonight was wonderful... Do you realize how many people have written Tom off as it's their belief ‘'he's not the same ole guy'?" Yeah... I know… but I just feel bad there's nothing more I can do for him..

Rick did a lot for Tom. I'm certain if Tom did fall - he'd trade a good ole lump on his noggin' for a night out with his old bud Rick any day. Especiallly today. I would gather, people that are 'affected' – appreciate when another human treats them as if they weren't. Rick did that – because he remembers today is just (if not more) as important for Tom than yesterday was. Some friends quit, others crank it up. God Bless Rick for cranking it up. A small gesture – but assuredly huge from the shoes of Tom. Friends and music – they're best cranked. Love, Victurd.

No comments: