Saturday, January 20, 2007

Of life and communication....

I was in hotel sales for a bit... A Hilton property... I was kinda proud of my job... and... after a few months of struggling, I was starting to turn the corner in getting bookings for the property.. (The old Hilton @ 45th and Main for any Kansas Citians here)...

My boss (who happened to be a female)was very businesslike - and to be quite frank - wouldn't give me the time of day... In the short duration I was there - 4 of the 7 of us got fired by her.. With them odds, hell yes I started looking for a job... I worked my ass off - but I just knew - no matter what I'd done - it wouldn't be enough and I would be out on the street and at the God forlorn unemployment office - been there, hated that. (and, for whatever reason, the GD utility companies keep wanting their money - and the "but I just lost my job" line doesn't go to far with them...

So... I finally found a suitable job - got my ducks in a row - and went into boss's office to give my notice... Very much to my surprise she spouts out "But you were doing so well, and I was thinking of giving you "such-and-sucha" market." (BIG pay raise. This from a lady that hadn't given me the time of day - only periodic glances over the toppa her glasses.. Communication lines sucked - and probably my fault.

We've all seen (or participated in) the old school thing where you have a group of people seated in a circle - you whisper a sentence into the ear of the first person.. and the first person repeats what he heard into the ear of the second person, etc., etc., etc., until ya get to the end and laughter is brought out when the final person repeats the butchered sentence which isn't anything like the original sentence..

I ran into my best friend's wife the other day... She point blank told me her hubby was upset with me because 5 years ago I didn't attend the wedding of their daughter - and that was the reason I wasn't even invited to his 2nd daughter's wedding.. I offer no excuses other than I was in the 'pity party' mode at the time = and that excuse doesn't hold water. I wanted to shout back "YEAH.. BUT WE GRADUATED IN 1970, AND DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES HE'S CALLED ME ON THE PHONE SINCE THEN? ZERO, ABSOLUTELY NEVER" - but I didn't.. So, we're both at fault.

Maybe to everyone but one person reading this - this whole damn thing won't make sense.. but to the one who maybe it does - I'm sorry communication has sucked the last 2-3 days - and I'm very tickled perhaps it's not too late to try again...

May you all have a happy Sunday - and if in the backa your mind there rings a bell about a communication problem and "I wonder whatinthehell happened" - today is a good time to unlock that - dig in and re-open lines of communication that you once cherished. It seems life's problems many, many times happen without intent - and it's too shorta GD stay here to not try to fix 'em. Happy fixin', love Victurd.

No comments: