Saturday, July 26, 2008

Magic bus... you can't have it....

Perhaps a continuation of lifting something happy out of something sad, we learn today Randy Pausch - author of “The Last Lecture” has left us here on earth.

Among his takes on life:

"I don't know how not to have fun," he said. "I'm dying and I'm having fun. And I'm going to keep having fun every day I have left."

“Look for the Best in Everybody.” His hero, a Disney employee had once told him “If you wait long enough,” he said, “people will surprise and impress you.”… “When you’re frustrated with people, when you’re angry, it may be because you haven’t given them enough time. Jon warned that this took great patience, even years. “In the end,” he said, “people will show you their good side. Just keep waiting. It will come out.”

“Make time for what matters.”……… “Dare to take a risk.” Don’t worry about failure – everyone fails at some point. Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you wanted. And it can be the most valuable thing you have to offer.. “

I truly believe this man lived his life with the bright-eyed excitement demonstrated by youth. I truly believe, he recognized that exuberance - and chose to live by it/with it/as it.

Sad, very sad he’s gone. Happy, his ideas, suggestions, examples, lessons life on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My slovenly Saturday…..

Yes, it began at Mickey D’s… Seven-ish… Fitty-four cent Senior coffee, local newspaper, eyeballs to people watch…

Bored, kinda, after reading the paper (but I did enjoy the diddy about the New Zealand judge stepping in and making 9 year old “Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii” a ward of the court - and changing her name… oh, and he gasped at some others he’d heard: Keenan Got Lucy, Number 16 Bus Shelter, Fish and Chips)… k, so bored…

Which is fancy for “I need a cigarette.” Plopped the car halfway between Mickey D’s and the Piggly Wiggly - read the remainder of the paper, smoked a few Camel Wides (no, not “my” brand, but they were 2 for 1...remember, gas is $4 a gallon)..

After abouta hour of reading about Buck O’Neill, Barrack, Bin Laden’s driver, “what to do with the dogs since the Woodlands Greyhound Track is closing”, my horoscope… I looked in the mirror and noticed I was covered in sweat. Ewww. I mean drenched. It’s hot out, but it was a good feel. You know, like a kid running inside on a hot summer day to graba glassa Koolaid. I was disgusted and charmed all at the same time….

Remembering I had honey do’s for Maynard at the Piggly Wiggly, and finished with the paper - decidedly drenched, dare I enter looking like that?

Sure. “I’ll just walk straight to the bathroom, blast cold water allover my face, grab my items and be done with it.”

Sign said “Restroom closed for maintenance.:” Shit.

Headed to the frozen food aisle. “I’ll just stick my head in here, then they’ll never know.” Worked, kinda sorta I guess, but I did get some passer-by stares. Remember that movie where the news anchor could NOT stop sweating, and the more he worried about it, the wetter, soggier he got? Me. That was me today.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Home now, wondering what to do with the remainder of the day. Stopped by here -to say hi to you. I love “you”, whomever you are - cause you help me ride the bus of life, looking out the window to see and relate life’s experiences.

You’ll never know how “happy like a little kid” I feel when I see an occasional Gail “LOL”, or a CJ or Lisa wish for a happy day, or a Teresa “thank you.”

Life IS a blog. Life IS to be lived with the childlike exuberance of Randy Pausch. Seen Ebert and whomever’s Siskel’s replacement was are hanging it up. Infamous for their “Two Thumbs Up.” Life is two thumbs up. We can point our thumbs down at certain events, behaviors - but in the end, the view from this bus is two thumbs up.

Frienda mine I usedta work with has insteada “Best Regards” at the enda her emails just above her name: “it’s a pleasure doing business with you.” I was reminded of Dolly Parton in Best Little Whorehouse “it’s a business doing pleasure with you.”

It’s a pleasure doing blog with you. The Magic Bus.

I said, now I've got my Magic Bus (Too much, the Magic Bus)
I said, now I've got my Magic Bus (Too much, the Magic Bus)
I drive my baby every way (Too much, the Magic Bus)
Each time I go a different way (Too much, the Magic Bus)
I want it, i want it, I want it, I want it ...
t
Randy Pausch, PHD, downplayed his sudden burst of fame… and even his own mother introduced him as “This is my son. He’s a doctor, but not the kind that helps people.” (Wrongo she was, and she knew it too.)

That diddy reminds me of onea my alltime favs.. Supposedly Eddie Murphy was driving down the road with little Stevie Wonder. Stevie got out his harmonica, started blaring. Eddie turned, and with a smirk admonished “you wanna impress me Stevie? Take the wheel.”

Every day you'll see the dust (Too much, the Magic Bus)
As I drive my baby in my Magic Bus (Too much, the Magic Bus)

Life. I want it. Magic Bus. I want it. No AC. No sweat. God bless bumps in the road, hills to climb, rivers to forge - friends to make/keep, staring at frozen Rangu for twelve minutes, The Last Lecture, Two Thumbs up, and even Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii.

Mahalo. Love, Victurd.

No comments: