Sunday, April 02, 2006

I HATE when old people offer free, unsolicited advice...

Well... too bad! And for those of you already middle age or later - perhaps you'd like to chime in and see if what this old fart says is kinda true....

"Be Prepared." I didn't make it to Boy Scouts - but that was/is their motto. There's really no preparing for life, or the future.. Sure, one can control their own economics, burial, etc - but we ain't gotta whole lot of control over what happens/when.

Yes, we can contribute either to bad health or good health along the way - but even that isn't foolproof.

Shit happens. Good shit, bad shit. As I enter this stage where the nest is empty (WAIT, WAIT, there's little "robin" that ain't ready to fly in it still!).. Ahem, as I prepare to enter the empty nest stage of my life - I wonder how all the yesterdays happened - and what the tomorrows will look like.

One of my favorite sayings - "If you'da sat me down in High School and told me what the next twenty (or thirty, or forty) years were gonna be like --- I'da said 'no friggin' way'"...... Well... way.

"Victor... you will go to college across the street at William Jewell... and you will love it..." - you have GOT to be kidding... I would NEVER go there and be within eyesight of my family - and especially since my mother works there.. WELL.... WAY...

"You will marry a Baptist preacher's daughter your senior year in college.. have one of the largest weddings ever in Independence, MO... then you'll be divorced in six and one-half years." ARE YOU OUTTA YOUR MIND? Why, I won't get divorced... Only "icky", "slimy", "untrustworthy" people get divorced. Huh uh, not me. WELL... WAY...

"You will rebound into a relationship months later with a gal 7 and 1/2 years your junior.. and she will bear a child in three years.. she already has a son.. and that will be difficult for you each at first... but it ends up being a real good thing." Me? A cradle robber? A stepdad? A DAD?.......... WELL..... WAY...

"I'm sorry to report, but you will be the sole surviving member of the nuclear family you grew up in by the time you are 51." Come on, that shit ain't funny.. For real? (Mother passed, I was 34, sister passed, I was 47, father passed I was 51.) WELL... WAY...

"You will coach Women's College Basketball" YEAH RIGHT.. "You will work for three different airlines - and each situation with those will end with you jobless either because of bankruptcies or cutbacks." Come on.. Not me.. I'll clock in and outta the same place for forty years.. just like Grandpa did.. and collect my gold watch too... WELL.... WAY...

"You will lose an inlaw to suicide turn of the century, it's extremely tragic - tremendously effects the lives of everyone in the family... you will divorce soon after losing your sister and your father.. your son will continue to give you fits.. and get this, you'll be the one raising him." You must be drunk.. All this shit can't happen to me.. WELL... WAY...

HEY.... WAIT? Will there be any good parts?... "OH, yes, yes, yes... Actually, you're fortunate.. While you don't get as much time as most with your own nuclear family, it will be filled with love, lots of it.. You will enjoy virtually every job you ever work at.. .make TONS of lifelong friends along the way.. your two marriages will be non-combative and mostly good... you, your stepson and your son will have many, many great hours together doing sports things - you'll coach each and every team they are on... your family time with them will be good also... You will kinda stay "down in the valley" for a good piece after marriage number two fails - but the fact that all the other crap has happened and you've either BEen PREPARED or learned to deal with it.. you come out Ok." WOW. Is this really how my life will go the next thirty or so years after High School? "Yes, Victurd, I wouldn't shit you." WAIT.. Is this some kinda APRIL FOOLS THING? "No Victor, but don't cry as the milk spills.. everyone's story doesn't pan out as they imagined... you're luckier than most."

"I've got to go now... I've got to go tell some High School Senior that he'll lose a leg in his effort to help defend our country. That's gonna be a tough one for me.." Damn.. I bet...

HEY WAIT!!!! "Yes, Victor?"... Can you give me any hints about my next twenty years or so....hey.. how many years do I have left?... Should I start trying to get laid every night now because my time here is short? Does it look bad for me?..... "Well.. they don't allow me to tell you that far ahead.. just be prepared.. I will tell you one thing though...." YES, YES, WHAT? TELL ME, TELL ME. "Stay the hell away from the Blackjack table more often." That's it? That's my future?

"Victor... many going along for the ride spend all their time bitching about this driver.. this road... their car.. the weather... their company... they fail to simply look out and suckup all the scenery.. or, they are unappreciative of the good things that happen to them day in and day out.... just enjoy.. pretty much as you have thus far.. be prepared." Oh DON'T say that.. Don't you remember I didn't make it to Boy Scouts because I hadta volunteer time at a church when I was a Cub Scout.. and I was SCARED to death?.. Oh well... I'll do my best to be prepared... I DO PROMISE to enjoy the scenery.. suckup the good times... (I can't make any promises about not bitching about my car however..)

Howabout you? Life gone "just as I thought it would"... Somehow, I just don't think that's humanly possible....

Happy Sunday.. have a good week... bye bye now... Victor

2 comments:

Carina said...

Ha...that was very good.
I don't think a shaman with a third eye and a whole pile of tarot cards could've ever predicted the weird twists & turns
my 48 years have taken...it just continues to be interestinger & interestinger. :~)
Enjoyable writing, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»