Thursday, February 22, 2007

"Write a blog I'll like"...

Shit. Pressure. I dunno quite how to respond to that. Who said it? Doesn't matter. They, I hear, wanna remain incognito.

Ok, we've come to terms on this blog crap - and it seems black and white - just like life. So I forget, is black good or is white good? And... I think you know my answer on that. I'm old enough to remember "colored men's restroom", "white men's restroom" - so, insteada black and white, let's switch to "good and bad". (Or, we could use happy and sad.)

As I write this crap - I'd love for your brain (especially you no commenting sum'bitches <- sorry, it was the three beers I had tonight!) to think of "good" in your life... earlier in your life... and THOSE WHO IMPACTED WHO YOU ARE TODAY!

I loved school.. Damn near everything about it. I loved competition, teamwork and socializing. I loved when I moved to Liberty in 4th grade, and Leroy Peters was nice enough to greet me at recess and offer a piece of blue bubble gum... Funny the things one remembers. Oh how that silly sticka gum made my transition to a new town bearable.

I remember all the damn boy phone calls my sister usedta get. GD if they only knew her like I knew her (I thought at the time) they'd NEVER call. She would tease, make fun, laugh at me - etc - and I loved her like crazy. I've mentioned Sanford has been my best friend throughout life - and that's basically true - but from my age 19, until my sister passed when I was 47, withouta doubt she was my best friend. I could honestly cry now. THE BEST. Lucky and blessed I am. Not a day goes by I don't think of her - or not see that wonderful wonderful smile that adorned her face. I was the luckiest guy on the planet to have been her brother.

Mr. Karston (I think was his name)... 7th grade science. The first GD "D" I ever received in my life. Ohhh did that teach me a lesson though... I learned "life ain't about skating...it's about buckling down and gettin' stuff takin' care of... and I hadn't." Thanks Mr. Karston, you cocksucker (but said with love.)

Rod White. PE, 8th grade. You taught me sir, that it's very very cool for old farts to enjoy working with young punks. That's a lesson I've never forgotten - and I truly hold you in the highest esteem. You encouraged us all to be the best we could be - and it wasn't just "preaching" - you observed and followed through. Honest to goodness, I'd love to contact you today and tell you how important you were in my life.

Grundy. Was there anyone better? I know there is a gal or two whom I went to high school with that occasionally reads this - and lemme just tell it straight - from like a chicky's shoes - Grundy was drop dead gorgeous, 6'4" tall, built like a supreme "V", and just cool as hell. Well, to us guys - we worshipped the ground he walked on. Grundy was PE teacher, basketball/football coach turned Vice Principal. When Grundy said "jump" we literally did without question. Close your ears - Grundy taught me "calm" - and I thank him for it. I saw time after time of confrontation - and he met each and every one with a calmness that told me (and everyone around) "hey... don't get exicited... we can handle this without fisticuffs... without terse words being tossed... and still maintain the respect of one another." I had the privelege of later teaching under Grundy when he was a Junior High Principal - and in a "non-ass-kissing kinda way" - I shared my feelings of his impact on me with him.

Mr. Nail. Ok, so he was different. Some didn't like him - some did. He was a History Teacher/preacher, only had like three fingers on one hand... but I'll never forget his Indian dance he usedta do during class in High School - complete with the outfit/headress and all.. Mr. Nail taught me "hey... it's Ok to act a little insane upon occasion... who cares what other's think... if it feels good to you... go for it." Thanks Mr. Nail.

Tommy Edwards. I think Tommy made it thru 7th grade. He'd worked for the City for quite a few years when he was made my supervisor at the Park Department. Tom, since his education was interrupted (and I know not why) could not write or spell very well - and that was pretty evident to us kids... However, he taught me the "in's and out's of life" - what kinda behavior to use when - and basically, how to get along with fellow mankind. What Tommy lacked in education - he so so much made up for it in propelling kids my age in the right direction - to make good choices - and his disciplinary skills were fast, to the point, and right. I went to Tom's funeral a few years back and cried my head off. There's a large chunka Tom in me - and I'm so happy for that. He was a great boss, a great father, a wonderful hubby, and one supreme man. Thanks Tommy.

This friend who said "write a blog I'll like" has told me before she has friends she'd die "twice over" fighting for. Those folks above - same.

PLEASE ENTER COMMENTS HERE!~ WHO, in your life, has been impactive? In what kinda scenerio was it? Would you take a moment to share what bits and pieces of your predessesors that have given you the makeup of the person you are today? I think we all know parents - that' a gimme... Hell, I could write for days on my parents... lemme hear about who has influenced your thinking, your decision making skills, your parenting, the way you handle every day life. We all 'steal' a bit of those before us... I'd love to learn - and even hear names I have no idea who they are... and if nothing else... it's an opportunity to thank that person - even if they may never see this.

I am thankful for so many in my life... but the ones above standout... Who stood out for you?

Loveya, Victurd

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My heros would have to be my kids. They very literally saved my life. Bout 7 years into the marriage from hell, I asked each one of them these 2 questions:
*What does a Mom do?
*What does a Dad do?
Their answers forever changed me. At 2 1/2 and 4, they had already figured it out...I had to get the answers from them. Outta the mouths of babes... That day I was forced to change everything, so they didn't become what they had come to know. Thanks to them, I am a completely different person and they are quite amazing.