Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Better now, Part II……..

Yes, we remember Norman on the ground, surely about to state his last words to Ethel..

“Ethel?”…. “Ohh-oohhh Yes Norman?”… “Ethel?”… “Yes-sss Norman, wh-hat is it?”… “Better now.”

But not that kinda better now. You sonsabitches that are younger… the Langfords, the Brumleys, et al, you still have hope of being “physically better now” in areas whereas us old sumbitches - those of us who take baths and notice “Since when did my skin get all shrively?”

Well.. For us.. “Better now” is hard to fathom.

Mebbe. I was in the bar tonight (quoting Gomer Pyle “SURPRISE SURPRISE!”)… and there’s the thingamajig Trivia box… where you play against those across the land who are equally as miserable at home… so they go out… they fake smile.. They down a few, and in the meantime they play the Trivia thingy…

I never played the Trivia thingy ‘cause my GD eyeballs wouldn’t allow it. NOW. I’ve had implants. Eye surgery. New lens’s… I can now see a fart exit a mosquito from here to WalMart. (That’s pretty good.)

Stay with me Wilbur. The point is, it’s one thing in my life I’m actually “Better now.” Yes, outside “interference”, nonetheless - I’m seeing happily better than I did not long ago.

In what other areas of our lives are we “better now”? I mean, come on, you’d think experience would count for SOMETHING?…

Budgeting? Ahm, what was your next suggestion?

Sex? Ahm, I remember from school, u like had to have “results” from previously, to compare with “recent.” Since I ain’t got nonea that, next question.

Energy? Ahm, no. Vitality? Ahm, probably no. Hope for when “the old gray mayor she (will be what she usedta be)”… Like be for real.

When u get old, all positive change takes place above the neck. (Less’n ur talking Levitra, then it’s “the other neck”).. Victor, did you say that. Uh huh, I think I did.

Blurting. Blurting is one area where, me thinks, as we age, we blurt less. Or less quickly. YEAH! I found a “Better now.”

Farting. We (to quote Rainman) DEFINITELY fart better as we age. It could be stowing the silverware away in the dishwasher… or, simply switching from front to back in bed. We fart “better now.”

Little things. (No, GD it, not talking Levitra again.) Yes, we notice little things more as we age. We take the time to study a co-worker’s face, ongoings in their lives. We view all, and take a general view of any changes - be they for the better, or for the worse.. If a better change, we gently slap ‘em on the back… if a ‘for the worse’ change… we ask how we can help. We’d love to make it “better now.”

We’ve seen our fair share of business ideas over the years… that crap didn’t work… that one idea was ludicrous… there went our raise for 2008 for that God-forsaken $29,000 concrete dock we’ve used THREE times… we’re keen to “better now” ideas. We, due to our seeing all the shit that didn’t go right, have in our back pocket our “two cents” to bring to the table to make suggestions of things that might work. Make our company “better now.”

At home. With loved ones. With friends. Over the years we’ve witnessed what makes one go ballistic. What perturbs another. What this one appreciates. Where that one needs help. What’s expected of us from those over there… We’re “better now” at being family.

Outlook. We’ve gone from the sandbox, to visually unzipping zippers, to ladder climbing - to where we’ve arrived today… taking a sip of wine and appreciating life. Calmness has replaced hustle/bustle. “Better now.”

We’re more concerned over gift giving, smiles, notes, words of appreciation, compliment…No more “I want this”, “See me, I’ve got this”, “I’m gonna be this”, “I am this”. Calm. “Better now.”

We see the tight bodies, the newlyweds, the new parents…….. We chuckle.. We oh so remember it well… but… it’s “better now.”

We see the sand going thru the hourglass… tis ok.. We know the end.. Everything ends… In the meantime, “better now.”……… I’d better go… now… Loveya, Victurd.

No comments: