Saturday, December 09, 2017

Slip sliding away....

Winter.

Whadda ya think of when you think of winter? Victor, you idiot, this is a blog, you know we can't answer so whyintheheck even ask? We know though, that you are going to give us your thoughts about it, so you might as well go ahead....

Cool (pun mebbe intended), thought mebbe you'd never ask.

While there are some admitted nice things about winter, in general, I ain't a fan.

Unless you live somewhere down South where it's never cold (Please know, reports of substantial snow in Corpus Christi yesterday, fake news, it never snows that far South... the pics they posted had to be from Quebec)... again, not a fan... a list of how I feel, what I think of? OK:

Brrrrrrr
Dark
Shiver
Blankets, blankets, comforter and more blankets
House slippers
Pretty - shiny - but only looking out from inside the house
Don't get out as much
Whereintheheck did I put my gloves?
Whilst life is about learning, progressing, getting better - walking on ice - as one ages - is instant Karma to all that. Don't go Mildred, you'll break your hip.
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom" PLEASE don't bring me that damn gas bill!
Flick's tongue stuck to the light pole.

I remember loading airplanes. Victor, why do you always talk about 'yesterday'? Good question. I love my yesterdays (winter yesterdays even kinda sorta.) In the summer, loading airplanes made one sweat. A lot. When it's 95 degrees out, it's at least 110 inside the belly of an aircraft. It's very small, compact in there - even Tattoo (remember? Yes, YESTERDAY, "De plane de plane!).. so small, even Tattoo would have to duck. Being in the bins in the Summer stunk.. you worked on your knees, stacking suitcases... just when you gots room to load one more on the stack, up the belt comes a bag certainly headed to the Far East (so heavy, it was undoubtedly filled with all the tea in China). It would take two to put it on the belt loader, but now, it's you - just you, that has to hoist it up and place it atop. Sometimes things don't sink in, but it just now has - no wonder I have persistent back pain.

Victor? Where you going with this? Larrie Jo. That's where I'm going. Color this gender biased if you must (Eh, what the hey, I ain't in no relationship anyways!), but Larrie Jo feared breaking a fingernail. In the summer, I would ALWAYS jump up in the bin to load - it was the job that stunk the most - but, now having learned from some psychology test I'm the type that "really really wants to be liked" - I would jump in the bin to take the worst job in the summer.

That's all fabricated, because I really jumped in the bin in the summer so I could then be justified jumping in the bin in the winter. When wind chills on the ground were 10 below, it was a toasty 60 degrees in the belly of the aircraft. I think, as the year progressed, Larrie Jo musta really worked out harder and harder at the gym from Spring to Summer to Fall to - finally Winter - as, she became SO FAST to hop up in the 60 degree bin it was amazing, she ALWAYS beat us up there. Impressed I was that she even know where the bin was.

Scraping ice off the windshield
Damn I'm outta washer fluid
FREEZING the first twelve minutes every morning of my 35 minute commute.

One Winter, my car heater went out. (Kinda getting the grasp of why this blog is named what it is?).. So, I would take a small propane tank with me to stay warm (NO, you didn't?.. yes, yes I did.)... Then how did you keep the windshield from getting foggy/freezing up? Candles. (NO, you didn't?... yes, yes I did. And yes, abandoned that one after my windshield cracked).. THIS - and that are my memories of Winter.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... as if I were standing in line to have Oral Roberts heal me of this "Winter Depression" - I Googled "Positive things about winter."

First, up popped a list of "Ten things to love about Winter.".. Ok.. .and right underneath it "Fifty things I love about Winter." No way, yes, way.. there really is a blogger who wrote fitty things to love about Winter. So,

"The smell, unapologetically stodgy food" (Being a simpleton and having a vocabulary not nearly expansive as David Moffitt I had to Google stodgy, then stodgy foods and I learned it's basically stuff from the slow cooker, prolly ain't good for ya, but delicious nonetheless).. where was I? Oh yeah, reasons to like Winter:

Christmas Markets
Carol services
The light on a freezing cold morning
Winter woolies
Binge watching and Victorian novels (One outta two ain't bad)
Glitter
The Opera and Ballet (I understand they have these at someplace called the Kauffman Center, which, near as I can tell, should be somewhere around second base I guess.)

The frozen blogger wrote about:

Turtle neck sweaters, hot chocolate, pajama days, frizz-free hair, Christmas Trees, Presents, Hot apple cider, Egg nog (patooey), Homemade soup (Stodgy), fuzzy socks, making snow angels, tobogganing (uh huh, I'm 65 for behoogity sakes), no bees (gotta point, no oak mites either), no humidity, tights and leggings (I'd rate that one an A+), heated car seats (not invented by the time my '08 Pontiac rolled out), red wine, making snowmen, Christmas lights, bubble baths (I LOVE baths, my apartment has a shower only), gingerbread houses, scarves, ear muffs, trees covered in snow.

OK OK, maybe there are some nice things about Winter. The first that comes to mind is December 21. Why Victor? Is that when you start shopping? Heck no, I never start that early. On 12/21 the days get longer and we inch closer and closer to Spring, as in Play Ball, not play snowball.

I do love Christmas, not only due to the reason for the season - but because everyone gets to be a kid again at Christmas. (There you go again, living in the past.) I loved my past. And I loved my Christmas's past (and present.)

I'm thinking about Arizona. (Why Victor, the temps? Yeah, but probably moreso due to the 9 females for every male ratio there). Or maybe Florida, Alabama.

Instead, I think I'll take a nap. Nap. YEAH, that's a Winter positive. Having a small, one bedroom apartment, bed ain't that far away.

You know the nearer your destination the more you're slip sliding away.

C'mon March. Love, Victurd.

No comments: