Sunday, December 03, 2017

I yust go nuts at Christmas.......

Color me lazy, I'll accept that hat. The below was written three years ago ("What I've learned in 62 years about Christmas").. DANG VICTOR, you're getting up there. Uh huh Ebenezer, I am. Funny, kinda, how sometimes things change. Life, like Christmas, is all about that. Families come apart, families come together, families begin anew. Faces (some/most) remain the same. Some, change. Some, lost, but still out there. Some, sadly, lost forever.

Sorry it's a repeat, but ain't that what Christmas is all about? I think it was Steve Allen that featured "The man on the street" - and questions he/they would ask. If ya asked the man (or woman) on the street - it's a safe bet 8 outta 10 would list Christmas as their favorite Holiday. It's mine too. The joy of giving. The joy of living. The joy of seeing. Joy. Joy to/for, the world.

The year was 2014. For me, much has changed. You? Maybe it's a good time to stop/think about who was here in 2014 but not now - close the eyes and give 'em some moments of love and thanks. Mebbe, just mebbe, we can take a look at 2014 to 2017 - and envision what 2017 to 2020 will bring. Baby pun, 2020/enVISION, mebbe intended. Spectacled, not spectacular, I know.

I have a thirst for Christmas. This one, the hopeful next one, next one, yada. I'm thinking this will be the last year for organized Christmas Caroling at area nursing homes. Tired I reckon. Comes with age. So, with your help - hopefully we'll make it a very good Caroling time for the residents. More to come later, meanwhile - a harkening back to 2014 and "What I've learned in 62 years about Christmas":

It doesn't discriminate on age. It's fun at 2, 12, 22, 32, 42, 52, 62.

Some unexpected car/house repair, sickness or otherwise will happen, and happen shortly after you'd just counted all your beans and thought "I think I can purchase all I want to purchase this year!"

WalMart is filled with folks whose cart/person take up 6 (of 8) feet of aisle space, they're oblivious to it, so you turn around, take another aisle, go around 'em. The checkout aisle you select will need a price check, a scanner repair, or a management approval.

Will hear: I can't believe you've already got your tree up.... Christmas Carols so soon, really? We just went to your folks LAST year!

My cousin Roger had good hands (was QB and Point Guard in HS) and was telepathic. He could grab a present, feel it and know exactly what was inside. He NEVER missed, sometimes even relating the color.

Turns out, my father, and my two uncles were horrible bowlers. For years, we little ones would await to unwrap gifts (mostly patiently) until their Christmas Eve arrival at Grannies - as they annually 'bowled', which later we learned was the bar, adjacent to the lanes.

Snow will happen, on or around. Cold will happen. Car doors will freeze. Travel will be rough, sliding on roads, flights cancelled/delayed, connections missed.

With every generation comes a period where the bottom third of the Christmas tree gets torn to smithereens. (Double that, if you own cats.)

Cedar, evergreen and fireplaces smell heavenly.

It's all about the kids, no matter your age or the age of the 'kid'. Love happens. There is a family bonding that can't be duplicated.

It takes 1/60th the amount of time to unwrap a present as it does to wrap it. Piles of paper happen, parts to toys will get lost. Parents who ain't mechanically inclined later will boil in frustration reading directions, putting together this or that.

Annually, I say a prayer for whomever has to work in the Customer Service Department 12/26.

Whatever was spent, however many miles were traveled, the woes within, in the end: all worth it.

Two more things: Oh yeah, the reason for the season. And.... Santa HAS to be a woman. No man could accomplish what 'he' does in a 24 hour period.

Merry Christmas, Victurd

No comments: