Sunday, December 21, 2008

A winters day

In a deep and dark december;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.

Sunsabitches. I don’t know where you’re reading this at.. But it’s cold. Dayum cold. Winter don’t start ‘til tomorrow. Don’t care. I’m a rock. A rock feels no pain. Too GD numb to. Draw a horizontal line ‘bout halfway thru the US, we’re all freezing. “Don’t travel, stay home” they say in the Upper Midwest. Pacific Northwest, pelted with snow after snow. Blizzard. Brrr.. I curse you December 21st, and you ain’t even here yet.


I am a rock,
I am an island.
Ive built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
Its laughter and its loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Nah, that ain’t me. But we all build fortress’s against Old Man Winter. Hell, just last night that dude was blowin’ frigid air at me.. Got out some plastic and weather proof tape, covered that window, kept him at bay. Two blankets and a comforter, tweren’t bad. Sure, would be nice to have another 98.6 there wit’ me

Dont talk of love,
But Ive heard the words before;
Its sleeping in my memory.
I wont disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Sorry Simon. You too Art. What’s life without feel? Crying is passion. Passion means one lived, loved. I’ll take that island, even if the only company is a comforter, two blankets, and an occasional cat.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

No, the physical touch is not here, but… that doesn’t stop the frequency of ‘touch’ in everyday life. Emails. Smiles. Hello’s.. Goodbyes. Phone ringing. Sitting with friends. Familiarity. Blogs. There’s all kindsa touch, even on an Island. I’m thinking’ “Little Buddy” and Maryanne touched on their island. Probably even that rich couple. The hell was their name?

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

Interesting this thingamabob life is. Article on Dustin Hoffman today. Can you believe he’s 71? Two’a my alltime favorite portrayals… The Graduate.. And.. “I’m an excellent driver… K-Mart.. Gotta go to K-Mart…. K-Mart sucks.” This article focused on his age, his life, where he started, the ride along the way.. And the attitude now “I guess making things fun is the only revenge you have against mortality,” Kudos Rainman. My take exactly. Making the mundane not so much.

“Nuther article” I read was about how this timea year is a boom for the condom companies. Sales the last parta December outdo any other period of the year. Well hell yeah.. Scroll to beginning of this article “Don’t travel.. Stay home…” A comforter, two blankets, a 98.6 and a condom.

And… been awhile since we spoke of Reid and Soanya. Briefly, they’re the couple that set out with the goal of sailing 1000 days continuously without stopping on land. He fitty-something, she 20-something. They had damn near anything/everything one could think of to help ‘em make it for the duration. “Ceptin’ condoms. Yes, she got Preggo somewhere around day #400 I think… seasick… got off the boat.. He continues on.. Just made it over 600 days, still going. Disappointment hits me as he continues to relate his life on the schooner, without ever mentioning his newborn son, and rarely referring to Soanya. He still speaks ‘we’. He’s a rock on an island. And an island never cries. A shame.

We all gots our druthers. I’druther be in Florida getting’ all wrinkled up with someone around my own age.. I’druther be driving my van all across the Contiguous 48, seein’ crap I ain’t never seen. (I’ma thinking the “bottom half” of the US might be nice this timea year.) I’druther be
“197.2” (98.6 times two).. I’druther have another to share this Gosh Darn mortgage in this too big for me house.. That way, could buy what I really wanted to buy for folks for Christmas.

I gots a lot though. My health. Son, working two years straight now. A new girlfriend that offsets his “Old G” ways quite wonderfully. A car that starts, first time, every time. I’m employed. I likes what I do and who I do it with. My Eveready aging cats are “Still going.” I have heat, electricity, water. A comforter, two blankets, plastic and weatherproof tape. And… I got you babe (bop bah, bop bah) I got you babe (bop bah, bah ba bop pah)…

Damnit Victor. Never combine lyrics in a blog, and don’t EVER mention Sonny in a winter blog. K, sorry. Won’t.

I am a rock,
I am an island
And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

Please, give your 98.6 a hug if you gots one. Buy plastic and weatherproof tape to avoid “shrinkage.” And… no glove, no love.

Making things fun is the only revenge you have against mortality. K-Mart sucks, I’m an excellent blogger. Love, Victurd.

No comments: