Tuesday, December 09, 2008

I close my eyes

(Please… forgive me for a second… This song is by, patooey, Kansas. I’m born and bred Missourian. I’ve gotta take one simple moment to stick my finger down my throat… gag, be done with it, and continue… Kendra/Lisa, if ‘parts’ splatter your way, so sorry)

Only for a moment, then the moment's gone
All my dreams
Pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind
All they are is dust in the wind

The significant insignificant folks in our life. It could be “we shared 7th grade science class.. We were both bored as hell… we folded up an 8 and ½ by eleven and ‘kicked fields goals” thru the ‘goalpost of our hands.”

It very well could be… I worked with you… but only for a couple months in the 80’s… I remember your smile. I remember I liked you. Damned if I can’t remember your name.

It also might be we were intimately close at work for awhile, like 6 years, we played on the company softball team.. Traveled… roomed together.. Had hella fun... Our company went Chapter 7... I’ve never seen you since.. Don’t make fuckin’ sense, we were “tight”, very, and our worlds turned upside down.

Same old song
Just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do
Crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see
Dust in the wind
All we are is dust in the wind, ohh

Life is so weird. We come into, and out of, sometimes just as swiftly, people’s lives - our gathering, at that time, was IMPORTANT… and whoosh.. Dust in the wind.

I won’t ever forget. I’ll forget names. Won’t ever forget ‘dust’. Leroy Peters giving me a piece of Blue gum my first day at a new school (2nd grade.) Tom Edwards, my boss in the summer as a kid, my 2nd dad.

So many classmates, coworkers, people that worked at gas stations, Piggly Wiggly‘s, Sonic, Mickey D‘s, softball teammates - dayum there‘s been a few, as in 200 or so..

Perhaps the Dave Clark Five’s “I’m in pieces bits and pieces” woulda fit better here. Dave who? You young shits say!…

Bits and pieces in our lives. They’re the threads to our existence. Stuff in life happens for a reason, I guess. I am so thankful for so many GD people that I can’t even remember their names - but they helped me thru life, thru that moment, thru that period - I will forever be indebted.

Now, don't hang on
Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away
And all your money won't another minute buy
Dust in the wind
All we are is dust in the wind
All we are is dust in the wind

Fleeting. What’s at the forefront today is barely in the rear view tomorrow. Feast in today, for dust in the wind happens. Stare into the eyes of the one that makes you have fun, feel good, interacts hella good… try to remember - for tomorrow - you might not.

Dust in the wind
Everything is dust in the wind
Everything is dust in the wind
The wind

And perhaps rearranging that a tad, Dust in the wind is everything.

I’m the baby, gotta love me - but only if you remember our ‘dust’ times together. Love, Victurd.

No comments: