Monday, July 30, 2007

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid???? Victor, that’s a long time ago…

Si Senorita, me know.. A lotta stuff about my life is a long time ago… I’ll drive by a place – remember when it was the old grocery store, or the Drive In theater.… Was watching the movie “61” (About Roger Maris, Mickey Mantle and their home run chase of Babe Ruth in 1961) with my son – and told him “ya know, they had a fun movie come out right after Maris broke the record.. Roger and Mickey even starred in it… I saw it at the Plaza Theater.” He countered with “you mean down on the Plaza?”… “No.. here in Liberty, right about where the fountain is @ City Hall.. you know, where they setup bands for city occasions.”

Living in the past? Oft times. The past was very fine to me. My take, every minute very shortly turns into the past. In ten years, we’ll be talking about things that happen today.. We’re building a life in progress..

I kinda sorta think I went thru the 60’s, 70’s, and a good portion of the 80’s hell on wheels – and mebbe that’s why more old mems pop up…. Mid-eighties on – ‘twas family (my/our own) time – and those were special memories… hard to replay the times of parent/young child.. impossible to relive/replay the whatshername/Victor time..

The New Millennium me.. (Victor, do you realize this entire blog is about YOU?) Yes, yes I do. But – it’s my hope your brain queries as well – and that you reflect back as to your happiest times – or you take your current situation – and not necessarily try to replicate that era… but I see nothing wrong with dipping your toes in the good times of the past…

As Butch and Sundance peeked back behind – they were being followed by some 200+ men… “Who the hell are those guys” they asked… I say, “whothehell am I” – and the answer is – a conglomeration of the above.

So.. 60’s, 70’s, parta the 80’s = hell on wheels. Parta the 80’s, 90’s = car parked, building baby cars.. The car’s been back outta the garage – and going like hell. Yes, I notice more creaks/groans.. no, the car doesn’t run down the rode at the same speed/smoothness it once did… but it’s still hell on wheels..

Am I rationalizing because I like to go out and have a good time? Probably. But too – isn’t life all about having a good time? Is playing a CD of “25 hits from 25 years of Motown” hiding from today? Mebbe. Is going to the City Park, reading the Sunday paper and envisioning good times from the past an attempt to turn back the hands of time? Possibly.

I’d much much much prefer to be in a relationship – take turns cooking/doing dishes. Work together in the yard. Share laundry duties. My turn for Piggly Wiggly. Hell, go to Piggly Wiggly and make out in the frozen food aisle even. But I ain’t got that.. So I go.. and I have no regrets..

If I wanna crank Ray Charles’s “What’d I say” – I’ll crank Ray Charles’s “What’d I say.” If I wanna remember being parked in the parking lot of Schoeller’s grocery store waiting for Robert to get off work so we could head out – I will. If I wanna go to my favorite dive – see friends from yesteryear/todayyear – I will. There are some benefits to singlehood.

In punching the timeclock of life, I’m gonna try to give ‘er all I got. I intend to surround myself with smiley situations – and run from evil, gossip, unneeded confrontations, etc. I am yesterday. I am today – which will be a memory tomorrow. Who the hell is that guy? He’s hell on wheels. Maybe his ride needs a little GPS – but by golly he’s taking in every scenic turn. He’s gadding about versus turning old, gray, stale on the sofa. Perhaps he’s rationalizing to defray guilt, fear of being seen as immature. I don’t think so. Life is a party – let as many in the door as you can.

I see my role not to ask “who the hell is this guy?” My role is to live life the way I wanna live life – then when they shake my ashes out at the City Park, THEN they can ask “whothehell was this guy?”

I hope your ride is of your choosing. I hope it’s happy. I hope it’s smiley. I hope it’s fun. I hope it ain’t got gossip, evil, unneeded confrontation. Whether you pick hell on wheels or the sofa, God Bless you in your quest for a quality life.. Love, Victurd.

No comments: