Saturday, July 07, 2007

Another one bites the dust.........



Deke, my old airline buddy… he was the one that would grump and groan his way thru the day… his job was… to fix ground equipment that was broke… he wasn’t too in tune to job security.. For every time you drove/pushed a piecea equipment into his abode for fixing… he set off in a tirade that would make Ralphie’s father sound like a Baptist minister… But Deke, you don’t get it.. If crap didn’t break down.. We wouldn’t need you.. Nonetheless.. At day’s end he’d walk the to calendar and dramatically cross of the the day with a big X with his magic marker. Somehow I don’t think “Honey I’m home” were his first words offa the stoop of his abode at home…

So, I place an “X” in light pencil on the day… not dramatically.. But thankfully - that I got-ta hang around for another day….

Sat, with guilt, in my cubicle last night after 5pm to catch up on some much needed catching up on crap. I say with guilt - ‘cause most aren’t allowed to work overtime. In fact, it’s so crappy.. Late in the day you hear ‘Hazel, you clocked in 7 minutes early from lunch.. So you’ll need to clock out at 4:53 today.”

Still managed to make the tail end of Happy Hour. Old buds. Married bastards - but you’d never know it. Two at this one place.. Over to the regular joint.. More computerized bowling. Fifty-seven other places I’d rather be - one billion women I’d rather be with - but for now, it fits. I was home, zonked by 10pm, or thereabouts.

Saturday. Uh huh. Breakfast at my favorite joint. Long about the time I’d finished the Sport’s section and was moving to the front page, bastard looks up at me like “You’rea GD pervert, quit staring at my wife.” I stared back with the look that said “I KNOW I’m a GD pervert - and she’s wearing that top that shows off halfa her boobies because she’s been married to a doink like you for boo-koo years.” I think we communicated Ok, he never stared back.

Drove into work. Not quite the guilt feeling as last night - as co-workers ain’t gots no idea I’m here. Six hours.

Drove home. AC. I friggin’ love my AC. It’s kinda like sex. When you don’t have it, you're so much more appreciate of it when you finally do. I pray for the day when I have AC, sex, and the mortgage ain’t sucha challenge.

Went back to favorite bar. Six people. None of which were alive when Nixon was in office. Had one, headed home.

Email from chicky saying I was included in a dream she had. (Nevermind what I said about throwing coins in fountains for good luck being fruitless.)

I heard from Jo, and if it’s the Jo I’ma thinkin’ of (I quit forever!??? That you?) I am way glad to hear from her..

IM’ed with an old work bud that has gone on to better and brighter things (nuther job).

“Vic, I’ve struggled all my life kinda-sorta with money.. But here I am making the best I’ve ever made.. I can make my bills no problem.. And I don’t have a woman.” (He, 40-something, divorced)..

“ME TOO!” I countered, ‘ceptin the money part.

“I’ve been married three times.. And each time they walked out.”

“ME TOO!” (twice) I countered.

And the colored girls sang "dum, dum, dum, dum de do waa." … So, I said “yeah, I was driving home from the bar.. Thinking “sonofabitch.. It’s 9pm on a Saturday night.. I know there’s gotta be thousands of KC women sitting at home.. Wishing they were out and about.. Lonely too.. And here I am headed for the barn. (With AC though)…”

He was of the giving up mode. Or gave up. It’s all about ‘mist’. Either optoMIST, or pessiMIST.. I think he mist that point.

We did the normal guy-to-guy talk about eye candy at work. (Go ahead, sue me for harassment!)… He related he was an “ass and leg” man… while I just mentioned the booties.. He said there were two (very young) on the dock where he works that leave nothing to the imagination… and I was crying in my beer about my two favs leaving work here.

So - we ended our IM wishing each other good luck.. And that “yeah.. Let’s get together soon..”

It wasn’t a “Deke 24 hours” - but it was nothing special. Got the Lincoln licensed. Took a dynamite nap.. Woke up when I wanted to wake up (no alarm)…

All in all, a rather unspectacular day. Hey, that’s cool. Sometimes the roller coaster is on the straight and narrow before it’s ascent and descent.

If you need an upper, think about all the 7-7-7’s that are doinking as we blog out in Vegas. 7/7/7 was special for them, and I’m glad. Here’s hoping, beginning 7/8/7, life still rocks.

Loveya… sorry this was boring.. But ya know.. .sometimes life just is boring! Victurd.

No comments: