Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Say........

Sayings.... Me thinks there's probably not a soul on the planet that doesn't love sayings... Some, we just enjoy reading... Some, we pattern our life after...

One time, back before they ever even had band camps - I was a scrawny, probably less than 100 lb 8th grader who attempted to play football.. The coach, my idol in the day, told me "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Many times in life I've used this lesson - and I don't neccesarily mean physical stature..

I've shared my mother's advice... "The secret to success in life is how you deal with Plan B." Wow, is that prophetic for all of us.. ceptin' I've just departed "Plan B" wife.. Long ago I departed "Plan B" career.. Still, wise words..

I've got a couple on my wall at work... "Transportation (or whatever you wanna enter here) is like umpiring.. one is expected to start out perfect, then get better."

Next states "The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment." Glue, that one's been like glue to me.. Before the days of crow's feet, receeding hairline, I really had trouble with that one.. Better now..

If you are still awake here - I'd like to bore you s'more on a few sayings I found on this website... PLEASE: IF YOU HAVE A FAVORITE OR YOUR OWN, OR FAVORITES - PLEASE SHARE. Deal?

Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead. (Scottish Proverb)

Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness (Chinese Proverb)

Don't be too sweet lest you be eaten up; don't be too bitter lest you be spewed out.
(Jewish Proverb)

Don't dig your grave with your own knife and fork. (English Proverb)

Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence. (Spanish Proverb)

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think. (Chinese Proverb)

Every path has its puddle. (English Proverb)

Examine what is said, not him who speaks. (Arab Proverb)

Fall seven times, stand up eight. (Japanese Proverb)

On fools:

A fool finds pleasure in evil conduct, but a man of understanding delights in wisdom.
Miscellaneous Proverb

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.
Miscellaneous Proverb

A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control
Miscellaneous Proverb

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult.
Miscellaneous Proverb

So...... In closing, here's some brevity! Break a leg.. Don't get caught with your pants down... Cut to the chase.. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.. Excuse your French.. Get your mojo workin... Live high on the hog.. Keep your chin up.. Knock on wood.. Mum's the word.. Put your best foot forward.. Make a long story short.. Don't let the cat outta the bag.. and have Zero tolerance...

That's all folks! Love, Sayingturd

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Victor - one of my favorites is "you only have so many springs and so many summers". Always makes me think just a litte to enjoy what I have now. Have a great day!!!

Rae