Monday, October 23, 2006

Give me Liberty or give me… eh, I’ll probably die here anyways……

Yes, Liberty. My hometown. ‘Tis my hope, if your hometown is near – you have wonderful memories of yesteryear… As much as “my hometown” has changed (Don’t stand in the way of progress… don’t rain on our parade…) – they always said they’d “maintain a greenery around the city limits”… well, now that greenery includes Applebees, Bob Evans, Home Depot, Kohls, a 2nd (and 3rd) McDonalds – and we’re trying to annex the Southern portion to fu.. ahm fix it all up too…

Yet, still – the Eastern side of town is damn near like it was when we moved there some 45 years ago… When I’m in great need of upturned corners of the mouth – I drive checkenginelight to “The Square” – park (in a spot that is going downhill – remember I ain’t got ‘Park”..  remember the old days of PRNDL?)… where was I… oh yeah.. downtown..

My love for Liberty is probably likened to a boyfriend’s love of his girl… It’s maybe prettier to me than to others… or, as whatshername usedta say “you know.. some people just don’t get as excited and enthusiastic about things as you do”.. Ok, I’ll take that…

I walk toward the Junior High atop the big hill…The Jr. High was the High School back in my dinosaur days – and now it boasts architectural styles from the 1920’s, 1960’s, 1980’s and 2000… still, to me it’s a thing of beauty.. it’s 3-4 blocks from the square.. The houses en route are turn of the century – and I love the fact there was no uppitiness in the old days… one bedroom houses are interspersed with monstrosities from the day… Trees, still lots of ‘em, in spitea recent tornado that followed my walking path…

Rounding the corner headed back West – I see the old concrete pole with the ring on top they usedta hitch horses to.. Somea the monstrosities are now cubicled off into apartments – that’s Ok, they still look the same.. I pass the ole Mobil Station – and I can just see ole’ John with the pink rag in his pocket ready to check the next one’s oil.. I look to my right – the old Elementary school.. whew… that first day I was scared shitless.. then, Leroy P. gave me a piece of blue gum and life was again good. I’m certain he did it because maybe he didn’t have a lotta friends… About the 4th (and 5th and 6th) day I noticed he’d pooped his pants – so, I guess I understood the other kid’s take.. Still, a nice guy.

Back past The Square.. The ole drugstore – vanilla phosphates – yummy!.. Woody Appliance.. FREE hot dogs and Pepsi at World Series time with folding chairs setup to view the newest latest GE models… Bud’s pool hall – “RACK ‘EM CHARLIE”… The Corner Bar – sadly, I drank with the KC Chiefs some thirty years ago there – now, I drink upon occasion with my old running cronies and discuss “the glory days”…

Up the hill to William Jewell College… perfection it is.. (well, with the exception I didn’t like forced “Chapel” when I was there.. eh, that’s Ok)… Hey, I usedta sled down that hill forty years ago… What fun… Hell, I think one trip back up it now would do me in.. and we usedta go from noon until dark..

There are aspects of every decade in my life I’ve enjoyed – and as a whole, life – it be good. Somehow though, I feel VERY lucky to have grown up when I did, where I did. Where’s talkback? I figured he’d say “you’ve grown up?” (Here here)… KMA brother..

Quoting Bruce.. Last night me and Kate we laid in bed
talking about getting out
Packing up our bags maybe heading south
I'm thirty-five we got a boy of our own now
Last night I sat him up behind the wheel and said son take a good look around
This is your hometown

In spitea wanting Florida… maybe even Vegas (you’d never make it).. anywhere out in the country… I love Liberty. Or is it yesterday?? Happy hometowns, Victurd.

No comments: