Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Elders

Some (at work probably) would say I talk too much... Ohhhhh but if they only knew the mega-flash thoughts that always jumble their way thru my brain but don't escape.....

The majority of folks I work with are younger.. Hell, the majority of folks on the planet are younger... I see twenty-somethings and I wanna shout out advice... I think the two primary bits of wisdom I'd give 20-somethings (Victor, who the F are you to give "bits of wisdom? You're car is held together who-knows-how, you're wallering in mortgage-hell, and you keep a girlfriend about as long as Kentucky Fried chicken stays good in the fridge.)... wow.. thanks for that input!

He (whoever that was) is right. But, ain't doin' it wrong a waya becoming an expert on how to do it right?

Ok, disregarding Mr. Parenthesis, a few things I'd tell a 20-something:

1) STICK a small amount away EVERY paycheck and STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM IT, no matter what.

2) Find employ with a solid company (favs might be govt, city, utility, or longterm-strong company) that have a decent retirement setup..

3) KNOW being 20-something is different than any age you will ever be... go.. run... jump.... do.. but most of all... REALIZE it when you are.. and appreciate it..

Then I thought... well... whereinthehell could I find 70-somethings that could tell me "Hey sonny, if I were 50 again and had it to do over... here's what I'd do..". or, "here's my advice on being 50".....

SO... I searched "70 YEAR OLD CHAT." You're laughing. I really did. I thought I'd get on their site... and ask... After I searched, I kinda laughed too...

What came up was "Hi - my husband and I are travelling with my 70 yr old mom - 8 days in Akumal. Mom is fairly active - does yoga, horseback rides (walk and trot) in the summer and walks the dog. Do you think she would be okay at Xelha? She loves swimming, but not snorkling - will there be enough for her to do/see? Thanks for your help. Roz" Some lady answered "we kinda had similar experience... my mom thought we were trying to drown her snorkeling.. heck, she got it down.. chaseda barracuda in Cozumel.. danced with a waiter at the bar in Playa... "Momma Cola" as they referred to her, sang with the musicians in Cozumel.. tell her to "let go", she'll have a great time."

Ok, not what I was looking for.. but gives me a tad bitta hope about eventually turning 70.. I could dance with musicians in Cozumel.. F-A-Ray!.

Next site was:.. "Treatment for 70 yr old with violent behavior?" "Can a person around 70 yrs old with bipolar be treated?"

Damn... that ain't 70-something chat..

Next up... "80 year old woman eats stones for 70 years"... ahm, no thanks...

Howabout "70 yr old Boston Marathoner Woman runs down 18 yr old liquor thief."

Dammit... I guess I'll just haveta go ask some 70-somethings in person... seems I ain't gonna hear excerpts on "how to prepare for 70.. how to live when you're 50" here....

I truly think there's alot to be learned from someone older.. Yes, we can feast our eyeballs on them and observe... but, it ain't the same as hearing it from them.
Whadda you think? Do you think it would piss someone off that was 70 if you walked up to them and asked "hey... knowing what you know now... are there any changes you woulda made in your life at age 50? Or.. howabout some things you did do then that you're happy now that you have?"... 'If you were 20 years younger, what's something you would do if you could do it allover again?"

and the kicker........ "What's it like being 70?"

We've got Kiwanas clubs, fitness clubs, Lions Clubs.. Golf clubs.. Women's clubs.. Bridge clubs.. Night clubs... 4-H clubs... Square dance clubs..

We have education for damn near everything... computers, science, medicine, English, physical education, economy, mathmatics, engineering, sociology, political science, philosophy, history,,,

we have bowling leagues, softball leagues, fantasy football leagues..

Nowhere do we talk/organize/assist with LIFE - and what to expect. Me thinks we oughta organize 20/40 clubs.. 30/50 clubs... 40/60 clubs... 50/70 clubs.. etc.. I truly think I'd love attending.. and learning... I've always been the finicky sort to take EVERYTHING in, and then remember/keep what I wanna... Life's about learning.. I think that'd be a cool way to learn...

Ok... I'm guessing some 70-something might tell me to "get in bed by 10 every night"... so on I go... Soooo, my advice for the 30-somethings.. findya some lady that can make that FAST transition to the reverse cowgi (VICTOR!!!)... ok dammit... but I do remember when I could move well...

Hope your weekend was cool.. and ya take a few memories from it....... Love, Victurd.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, my dad is 80 and he tells me to do things every time we talk. I didn't take his advice when I was young and haven't yet! I listen and I agree..but something always comes up that doesn't work with his plan!

I guess we all just stumble!