Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day thoughts.....

She was the intermediary between her kid’s accidents and the Emergency Room (or Dr’s office.)… She held her breath when we coughed, only to breathe again when she knew we had…

She could cook anything, and fast.. She somehow knew just was meal we were in the mood for… She managed meals around sport’s practices, play rehersals, fathers sales trips…

She was the wardrobe director… the psychologist… the adviser… the “in our corner” one… the cheerleader… the one who knew our business, but didn’t hover or smother in it…

The songstress… The pianist… The cog to our family…

She was ‘mom’. The above could be written virtually about any mom. It’s about mine too. She rocked - I was lucky. While she’s gone, not a day goes by I don’t see her, hear her, miss her. I can only pray that the day will come we’re together again. Happy Mother’s Day…

-----------------------------------------------
July 3, 1985... Up in the bin of an airplane (flight going to Seatte.. Those GD heavy/big Oriental suitcases) the message came “your wife’s water broke.. Why don’t you go on home.” I did. Fast.

Calmly she sat at the kitchen table when I sweated/barged/exclaimed my way inside… Visiting with beloved next door neighbor.. She is a tiny person - had a very rough birth with my stepson some 9 years earlier… Her father had very much urged against having another child…

Finally to the hospital.. All kindsa gizmos hooked up to her.. “Ahm.. When you start having contractions, we’re losing the heartbeat to your baby… we believe the umbilical cord may be wrapped around his neck… we’re doing and emergency C-Section…”

She handled life’s stressers in her own way, unbeknownst to most around her - but this time she couldn’t… This wasn’t about “her”… and certainly understandable she shook, worried and was quite frankly scared… Wonderful staff (and I think some kinda med) helped ease that…

Thirty minutes later was born a beautiful (yes, I’m biased) bouncing baby boy.

Thank you Marilyn, for that day - and the role you played in nurturing our son… I will forever be indebted and grateful… Happy Mother’s Day….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was the sweatest thing I think you've even written! Brought a few tears to my eyes as you know I miss my mother too!
Thanks Victor
Just Me