Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Blinders….

Blinders, or blinkers or winkers, are a piece of horse tack that restrict the horse’s vision to the rear and, in some cases, to the side.

You’ve been here. You’ve seen me. It’s like I was left in the Basin of the Grand Canyon a few years back.. Thrown a pity party or three, and have raved off and on about the virtues of “how great life is” even in shit times.

A façade? Nah, not hardly. Even if it ain’t perfect, it’s a perty damn fine place.

Up the wall I’ve scaled – only to be occasionally bumped back down by this (car trouble), that (more bills than bank), or those (like her, wish the feelings were mutual.)

Climb. I’ve kept climbing, and along the way I’ve had some wonderful old times with old cronies from “the day.”… Even put the softball mitt back on and relived sore arm, aching joints, sweat soaked July shirts.

This past weekend was unlike all that. In marriage number two, I was very much in love. Blinders. My thoughts were about her. There was not a literal hour that went by that I didn’t imagine seeing her. It was a pleasure for oh so many years to come home to see her face, her smile.

Things end, I’m aware of that, and I stand here today appreciative God granted me this opportunity for so long.

This past weekend. Eh, I know I’m not right for ‘her’. She, a child of the 60’s, me, from the Ike era. While it does matter, I take from it “I KNOW I can have that ‘blinder’ feel again.”

I can’t explain the situation, but I just know it can’t/won’t happen… Nonetheless, I was smitten. To go so long without feeling smitten is El Stinko. I thank her for helping me regain, revisit ‘smitten’.

“Blinders” is all about smiles. Touch. A calm, quiet. Shared. Not a care in the world besides “two”. Of the 7,300 left (I hope) it was one I couldn’t have painted better.

As I push with my arms and lug my tubbo bod up over the Canyon wall… I stand. Turn back and shout to it “I CAN can-can-can, FEEL feel-feel-feel, AGAIN again-again-again.”

I i i i, HAD had had had BLINDERS blinder blinders AGAIN again again…

Life ain’t a footrace. It’s the hurdles. I’ve overcome one.

Why you are here I ain’t got the foggiest idea, but I’m thankful you are. Might you go on in life taking on those hurdles – and if you trip, fall… get right back up again.. muster up the courage – and approach it again. I hurdled this one without even being cognizant it was a hurdle.

Echoes are good, eh? eh eh eh… (CORBETT corbett corbett corbett CANYON canyon canyon canyon.)

I may not ever again have the opportunity to focus all thoughts on another… but at least now I know I have the capability to do so… Love is blind(er)… happy day, love, Victurd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurdles - I know hurdles. It feels as if you are writing about me. Putting my thoughts and feelings out into the world. I wonder how many other people feel you are doing that for them too! You have a new person in your life or a new person to explore, get to know? How long to need to get to know another? 1 year, 2? 5 seconds? Or can you really think you know someone until they can no longer hide their true self? How long does that take? 20+ years? How long can one human being live a lie? Never letting the one you love in? Or is being honest a thing of the past? Is it lies or is it blinders?