Monday, December 18, 2006

The Christmas celebration...

Howdy howdy... When you think of 'the Christmas celebration' - what do you think of? Tis' funny (kinda) how Christmas celebrations change over the years... Sadly, important - truly loved individuals exit - and new, vibrant ones enter.

I will always think of Christmas from the shoes of a child... Of course being older - the integral part of Christmas is simply being with loved ones - but somehow I think I even gathered that as a punk kid... You? I loved my nuclear family, loved my cousins, aunts/uncles, g-parents..

Mick sang "You can't always get what you want" - and sure, that's true.. but for a long, long time Norman Rockwell couldn't have painted a better Christmas/life...

Overheard from a barstool Saturday... Feller mid-to-to late 50's, owns a construction business in our hometown.. A genuine extrovert - not a sole on the planet he doesn't love.. He formulated his take on life years ago... "You know, as soon as I got out of Viet Nam - I decided the remainder of my life was going to be fun, no matter what. And I've had a million dollars worth of fun."

I guess all of the above is a reminder to me personally. The selfish me says "you've a blown marriage, you're the only one left in from your immediate family, you question the results of your parenting skills (or lack thereof)- why let ornaments, good tidings, pine trees, carols make you smile?" The grounded me says Jane you ignorant slut "I've had a beautiful life.. I've met/made so many friends.. shared with some beautiful women.. had an A+ family... there are SO, SO many more worse off than I - DON'T THINK LIKE THAT AGAIN!!!!!... all those things (ornaments, lights, carols, etc) are reminders to me of how grand life is..."

So when it comes to the lights on a Christmas tree - I think I'll take mine on. It's my hope this season is genuinely memorable for you and your loved ones... I hope memories of Christmas past are wonderful - and if not - do your damndest to make Christmas today/tomorrow spiffy. Love, Victurd

No comments: