Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Today......

Is the ugly one year anniversary of the school bus wreck in our town that killed two area men, severely wounded two children, many more injured - and changed the lives of many forever. God Bless all those effected - and let's try peek at some happier things that happened on this day in history:

The Beatles signed their first recording contract in 1962. Oh the world is about to change.

In 1914, President Wilson proclaimed the first Mother's Day...

Abolitionist John Brown was born on this day. Ya know, I wasn't aware he gadded about in this area. Osawatomie Kansas. There were some pro-slavery dudes living in Lawrence (SEE, even MORE reason to hate the Chickenhawks!) and Mr. Brown and his sons actually murdered several. Now I don't condone murder - but, I might haveta re-think that after I seen all them punks on the t-vee with the "Muck-Fizzou" T-shirts!

I searched all thru this GD internet Al invented for "midnight curfew" lifted. I heard that on the local news this morning as they were talking about "things that happened on this day in history." I heard 1940-something. I'm not sure if it was a nationwide thing or what --- but I thought it was interesting the next "this day in history" fact they spouted out was "on this day we became the first country to use the Birth Control Pill."... Hmmm.. Midnight Curfew lifted.. BCP's invented.. I reckon for every action there IS an equal and opposite reaction.

In 1984 the White Sox and Brewers played the longest baseball game in history.. lasting 25 innings.. eight hours and six minutes... "honey.. I'm going to the game".. "OK sweety, have a good time."... --> nine hours later "GD Robert, JUST WHEREINTHEHELL HAVE YOU BEEN?".. "but honey.. at the game." "YEAH, GAME MY ASS - YOU LEFT NINE HOURS AGO - IT'S THE GD SOFA FOR YOU TONIGHT." I'm sure that scenario played out in some household that day.

We also welcomed into the world Billy Joel, the ole tennis player Poncho Gonzalez .. and the lovely Candice Bergen... For MANY years I hada crush on Candice.. She's still, to this day - a very beautiful woman.

Impeachment hearings began for old "Tricky Dick" in 1974... Until I day I pee my pants and forget my name - I will never forget the signs from the presidential elections in 1972.. "Don't change dicks in the middle of a screw - vote for Nixon in '72."

Ok... hopefully for a brief respite we were allowed to switch our thoughts to happier stuff. We will never forget today however - and thoughts and prayers go out to all...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»