Saturday, May 13, 2006

Please don't tell a sole.........

I enjoy work. Yes, that's right - I like my job. (Victor, it's the American way to gripe, complain, say "I can't wait for the weekend.") Yeah, I know - but whilst I don't make a great amount - they've treated me decent - and every job along the way I've accumulated more and more friends. (Yes, with as many jobs you've had I bet you have.) Screw you talkbalk - no real regrets here - life's been decent to me...

tumble outta bed and I stumble to the kitchen
Pour myself a cup of ambition

Is it OK to complain about parts of one's job? Hells yes. A balloon would never fly around the room speedily if ya didn't let a little pressure out of it.. No job is perfect - but there's a difference in the 'once in a blue moon' bitching - versus the continual scowled "I hate this, I hate that.. I don't wanna be here."

Out on the street the traffic starts jumpin'
With folks like me on the job from 9 to 5 (Ahm Dolly, I want me onea them 9-5's.. doing 8-5 now.. Am I a gettin' screwed?)

Workin' 9 to 5, what a way to make a livin'
Barely gettin' by, it's all takin' and no givin'

(Victor, this isn't funny, you're not entertaining here).. Yeah, whatever - but I think it's a topic that just needs to be addressed. (Well, you walk Jersey in the cemetery.. you'd think if work was so all-fired important, they'd have "Here lies Joe Blow, he worked for the Acme Company from 1962 to his retirement in 1985.") Ya know celerybreath, that might not be a bad idea. (They'd needta carve a lotta letters for all the jobs you've had.) Not funny - but what's wrong with being proud of one's job?

Allard Baird, the General Manager of the Kansas City Royals is on record saying "The Royals are of a greater priority than my family." Now that's bizarre - and I ain't saying to do that. But whattheheck is wrong with - simply enjoying one's job?

I just don't think we realize how good we have it. I gotta email the other day with the picture of a small impoverished child in a 3rd world country crawling toward a food pantry -- in the background was a buzzard awaiting to see if he'd die in attempting to get there... Playing blackjack with the feller that was paralyzed and could only move his head... Seeing older folks painfully grasp to do things they once did with ease... I "get it" - and I'm thankful I do.

They let you dream just to watch 'em shatter
You're just a step on the boss-man's ladder
But you got dreams he'll never take away
You're in the same boat with a lotta your friends
Waitin' for the day your ship'll come in
'n' the tide's gonna turn and it's all gonna roll your way

I don't have the right to complain about pressed hamburgers from BK/McDonalds when I've seen people scour for meals outta a dumpster. One time, after band camp, when I had a Frito Lay route - there was a Safeway store in the Old Northeast (mostly poor area just southa the river) - - they couldn't keep dry cat food on the shelves. For a long time I wondered why... then I figured it out.. I'm lucky - all here are lucky.

Working provides one greater self esteem. Working allows one to fill up the grocery cart, have heat in the winter, a warm bath, Channel 9, gas to flit about - and the money for a hooker should you want one. Hehe, ok, teasing about that last part - but ya get the point.

Gilligan, aka Bob Denver (bless his sole) gained his fame prior to being the "little buddy" on another show - The Dobie Gillis Show. He was a beatnick - for you sprites - that was the definition of hippies before the word hippie was invented. Whenever in conversation on the show someone mentioned 'work' - Maynard G. Crebs (aka Gilligan/Bob Denver) would retort with a shocked/high pitch "WORK!" - expressing his comedic displeasure of the thought. (Victor, that was in black and white.. I can't believe you're going back that far. Hills, you're as old as the hills.) Yeah, mebbe. But having lived through the advent of color television - mebbe I have a greater appreciation of it ranchdressingbreath. And let's not forget, I have control over the backspace key you asswipe. (So noted.)

Ok, sorry to lecture. I'll get outta your hair now.. I'm at work, it's Saturday, I could be mowing, or doing laundry, or loafing, or gambling, or sumpin. But I'm here - computing rates into the computer. GD. I don't really wanna be here - but I'm thankful of the fact I'm capable to be here. Workin' 9 to 5. I wonder if Dolly doesn't age because she ain't gotta get up every day and go to work. Hehe. Side note - Dolly is wonderful. A couple of things standout with Dolly. I just hope that one dude she's been hitched to for 40 yrs understands how lucky he is too. I'm sure he does. Forty years of having the view of the Great Smokey Mountains. Hehe.. Happy day, bye bye now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»