Tuesday, March 21, 2006

On purpose.....

The object toward which one strives or for which something exists; an aim or a goal.
Per Yahoo. (Remember when everything was Webster? Or Funk and Wagnell? I wonder if there is a Funk and Wagnell dot com?)

Whythehell are we here? Must we have a purpose? Mother Teresa had a purpose. Mozart had a purpose. Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel on his back, on purpose. His purpose? Robert De Niro has a purpose.

Albert Pujols (<-- kickass baseball player for St. Louis Cardinals) has a purpose. All of the above have an associated talent. Is talent the same as purpose?

The chick who is vice principal at the junior high school where Gracie teaches has a purpose. She's been there forever and a day - and she's just as fervent today as she was in the 70's.

I come to work and route trucks as economically as possible to and from ocean ports carrying military member's personal goods. Please don't tell me that's my purpose in life.. I come home and see the not-so-great life my son leads - please don't tell me I did that on purpose because that's my purpose in life.

When my stepson got married last year in Florida - I ate at the same little mom and pop breakfast joint several days in a row because, a) the food was good, and b) the older lady that waited on me had such a geniune smile and upbeat attitude and it really nicely jump-started my day. Is that her purpose here on life?

Headstones. They don't list purpose. Wonder why. Here lies Homer Smith, he was here to screw on the left rear tail lenses at the Ford Motor Company. Here lies Gladys Happybottom, she was here to make sure Mr. Higensby had plenty of coffee, and to field Mr. Higensby's wife's calls whilst he was out in the field "training" a shapely new sale's rep.

Can we be average, ie, no purpose? Do we, on purpose have no purpose? I ain't real sure I gots a purpose in life. Am I lost? Will I go to hell because I ain't figured out my purpose?

Is our purpose painted from the talents within? You'll never see Rae make a typo. She's very good at that - thus, if I remember correctly she uses those talents in her work with manuscripts. Is that her purpose?

Catom is very definitely a people person. Thus, she cavorts the backroads selling insurance (or I know she usedta) helping folks and making a buck at the same time. Is that her purpose?

If a prostitute is a prostitute on purpose is that her purpose? The guy who jackhammers concrete - is that his purpose? (Why did he just list jackhammer and prostitute in the same paragraph? Did he do that on purpose?)

Do we have to have a purpose? Or, can we have more than one purpose? Surely the preacher of the church located in one small sector of a strip mall has another job too. I wonder which is his purpose? Selling hydraulic tools or saving folks?

I was good in working with younger children. Ya fucking bragger - ok, I'm sorry, but I really was pretty good. Why? Because it was all about helping them to create a positive self image. Is that my purpose? A positive self image creator?

It kills me to see the titles some folks come up with. Long self-important names that lead you to believe they are just one notch below the CEO. There usedta be a guy here (I loved him.. no not that way you idiot!) anyways, he was so hung up on climbing the ladder, butt-sniffing the brass - he was promoted to "Director" and I always wondered if he went home at night and yanked off in the shitter as he admired his business card. Fuck that. I was once asked here if I wanted business cards - I said "nah... I'm a footsoldier." Is that my purpose? On interoffice crap with friends I lovingly entitle myself as Victor So-and-so, Point A to Point B Coordinator. It's just me. Are titles associated with purpose?

Why were you put on this planet - or, did you just happen here like me?

If I had to state/write/tell my purpose here...... I ain't sure if I could. (Victor, ya lying bastard, it's coming now isn't it?... well maybe.) I think among my purposes: love my family. have fun. watch people - deduct what i see, perhaps laugh at them, admire them, maybe even write about them. I like to try to put a smile on someone who's obviously down. I do that on purpose, is it my purpose? Avoiding things that depress. Could that somehow be a purpose? I don't mean avoiding bills, funerals, buying a new washing machine - I mean avoiding people that depress me.. Stuff I don't HAVE to do that I have a choice. I choose on purpose.

This was kinda boring. Geez. Can you imagine creating/writing technical manuals on purpose because that's your purpose? Leave a comment on purpose, wouldya?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Victor, I should just make a typo on Purpose just to make you laugh!!! I think you know what your purpose is-------to make people smile, big and little people. You can just feel your love for life in your writing. Your purpose is to make others think and be happy while doing so. You do a great job at that and I'm so very, very glad you are writing again!!!

Rae

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»