Sunday, March 12, 2006

Moonlighting.......

I listen to a Sport's talk show in Kansas City.... When they talk about an aging athlete, or perhaps a coach with silver running thru his hair - in the background they will play a speech by Walter Brennen with music accompanying it that makes one think it's being recorded from the porch swing of a nursing home...

So...... young folks make fun of old folks, then they become old themselves... and younger folks will make fun of them...

I get along with younger punks - but I wonder if they're 'playing' Walter Brennen thru their brain when we converse... I dunno...

Driving home the other night I was thinking about how I truly believe I 'think' young. I also know how much I abhore red tinted hair, and those people that talk about so and so saying how they look 40 (when they're 54) - or will say "people tell me all the time I don't look my age." To me, that's denial. Fuck it, I don't mind getting old - but I do believe the brain can stay young - which, to me, simply means open.

I was reading the KC paper and there was a quote from ole Bruce Willis..."I remember saying when I was a kid, 50 seemed so old - 50 is, like, your life is over. And I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my life." Bruce, you ignorant slut, if that's so grab your football helmet and pads and let's seeya out on the gridiron some Friday night next fall. Geez! Bruce's denial proably has something to do with persuading potential producers he's still a pup - and that like Rocky - he's ready for any fucking thing they throw his way as long as there's decent lookalike stunt double.

Bruce continued "I think we're all only as old as we feel in our heart. I feel about 24, 25 in my heart." Now THERE.... THAT'S what I'm talking about. To say we are the same physically is one thing - but to say we keep an open mind is quite another...

He then threw out some pretty nice prophetic crap "Even if you live to be 85, it goes by in a click. So if you try to pay attention to each day, and live your life each day, and if you live to be 85, you'll have a lifetime of great memories. That's the plan anyway." So, until I pee my pants and forget my name - I will try to pay attention (stay open minded) so help me God.

I love Cybill Shepherd. I don't think she looks a day over 30. Wonder how old her brain feels?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»