Saturday, December 22, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Ev'rywhere you go;

Foreclosures are at an all time high… The middle class is.. Well, is it even?… The Snow geese are fat and are flying South… The skies are gray… Morning windshields frosty…

Take a look in the five and ten glistening once again
With candy canes and silver lanes aglow. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Toys in ev'ry store

Lines are long at Wally World… Hell, even the line to Customer Service is backlogged, and the gifts ain’t even been given so they could be returned yet..

But the prettiest sight to see is the holly that will be
On your own front door.

Crap, that reminds me. Onea my resolutions was to have a tree up this year. Ok, I promise. TODAY.

A pair of hopalong boots and a pistol that shoots
Is the wish of Barney and Ben;

Be for real Johnny Mathis. It’s the $149 TMX Elmo that is already selling out as fast as they hit the shelves. This Elmo takes laughing to a whole new level. When one of his three tickles spots are touched he begins to laugh and slap his leg. Then when he is touched again he falls to the ground laughing and kicking his feet. He even rolls over onto his stomach and hit’s the floor while laughing. Or mebbe the Wii ($249) the X Box 260 Elite ($449.99) or the PS3 60GB ($599). No! No! I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle! That’ll be $44.99 Ralphie…

Dolls that will talk and will go for a walk
Is the hope of Janice and Jen;

Yeah, I guess. Now it’s the Hanna Montana Doll (Cheap at $19.99... Add her stage for $59.99).. The Disney High School Musical Dolls ($36.99 to $44.95)

And Mom and Dad can hardly wait for school to start again.
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

That was Bah-humbug Johnny. But I guess it’s true.. I just drove by the sign at our local elementary school. “Winter Break December 22nd thru January 3rd.” Ouch.

There's a tree in the Grand Hotel, one in the park as well,
The sturdy kind that doesn't mind the snow.

I’M GOIN’, I’M GOIN’ DAMMIT!

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas;
Soon the bells will start,
And the thing that will make them ring is the carol that you sing
Right within your heart.

Ok, I did my part. I FORCED Willie Nelson’s Christmas CD on co-workers… Played Don’s Barking Dog’s Jingle Bells for good measure. Carolers? When’s the last time you had carolers knock on your door? (I think it’d be fun to do though)..

Yeah, I know. Kinda bah humbug myself. Shouldn’t be. I love this timea year. I love thought out gifts. I love (even though I cuss it) winter. I love a kid on a sled. A frisky steam-spouting happy dog on a walk. Nervous last minute shoppers at the Mall.. Any kinda warm drink.. Excitement to see family ya ain’t seen in awhile. Reliving yesteryear. Kids waking at 4:45am 12/25. The mess on the floor after opening. The email about exactly how the tradition of the angel at the top of the tree originated.

Twinkly lights. Twinkly eyes. Twink ß son’s nickname long ago. Christmas ain’t about money. It’s about celebrating life. Family. Friends. It’s Ralphie. Ebenezer. It’s Johnny Mathis, Bing Crosby, Gene Autry, Ella Fitzgerald (Baby it‘s cold outside), even Alvin and the Chipmonks.

It’s a respite for the every day worker, unless you‘re gainfully employed by QT, Dennys or Waffle House. It makes grumpy people temporarily happy. It puts kids in the constant “I’m gonna pee my pants” mode. It’s layered clothing, trays of baked goodies, a table for two now serving twelve.

Going to get that tree now. It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night. Love, Victurd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Posted at 7:35 am??? Vic, now you're scaring me! Is that when the brain cells are the most fresh??? Well done!