Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Writer’s block….

Before you EVEN start in on me, I never professed to be a writer. This blog has come about because of an email exchange from a co-worker. It’s a lady that pisses me off, because, the more creative, more animated I try to be, she easily one up’s me.

Finally, I gave in. I sent her an email. “My brain is plain ole plain ole gray matter… yours is like a rainbow, vibrant, colorful, passionate, decorative, descriptive, outtaleftfieldive, whydidn’tIthinkathative..”

She emailed back. Basically saying I’m the funny one, she’s tried blogging.. And she gets infronta the monitor and sits. Writer’s block. TWB, or TBW, or Tcougar-Mellencamp, whatever your name is, I find this hard to believe.

As I was contemplating “writer’s block” on the way home, an affliction that every would be blogger experiences… I decided whatthehell… why not a blog on ‘block’…

Block me if you want. Holy shit there’s a lotta definitions for block. Wikipedia mentions the first block we think of… building blocks… I had ‘em.. My kids had ‘em… certain probably same for you.. I was so excited on my 3rd birthday when momma finally bought a 2nd seta blocks.. Allowin’ me enough L’s and T’s to spellout “I W-A-N-T A B-A-S-E-B-A-L-L.”
Quite impressed they were.

Building blocks. A very generic term, meaning anything from “keep them little bastards occupied at LaPetite” to “we’re gonna turn ole’ wet-behind-the-ears’ into a veteran - soon. A progression.

When you grew up… your street.. it was “your block.” The friends you ran with, played, experienced, explored, there’s NEVER another time in your life like that. It will always be special. No matter how many years later it is you run onta someone from ‘your block’ you see them as they were. You smile. You thinka the good times, ne’er to be replicated, ne’er to be forgotten. Your block.

Around the block. This can be misleading. There’s an old sumbitch at work, I love him, I hate him. He’s always right. He always leaves me thinking “why didn’t I thinka that.” He makes the right ethical choices, the right economic choices, etc.. . You attribute it to “well…he’s been around the block.”

Then…. There’s the HS Senior… or the College Sophomore chickie.. And the term ‘been around the block’ kinda takes on a negative connotation.

There’s the block in football. Fundamental, yet seemingly hard for so many. I’ll never forget, in HS as I watched game film dreaming of my date the upcoming weekend with the girl that “had been around the block” - there was an interception. We had this Big’n on our team. A transfer from Arkansas. Nice enough guy, kinda timid. Anyways, Bill (the Arkansas kid) had gone out for a pass… It was intercepted by the guy guarding him… Bill turned, and literally ran stride for stride next to the guy that intercepted it for forty yards. Within grasp of the dude. Finally, as we sat watching the film, “Ole Ron” (the more vocal of all of our coaches) said “Hell Bill, why didn’t you throw a block for him?” I guess maybe you’da had to been there… I peed my pants a bit I think….

Block. Gang nowadays. Suckers got tats with their block tatted on ‘em.

Block. In basketball… More commonly referred to nowadays as “git that shit outta here.”

Block…like the main part of an internal combustion engine.

Blockhead. As in Charlie Brown.. But he’s got a cool take on it all…

Block, as in Muhammad Ali had it down. Rope a dope.

Chopping is done upon a butcher’s block.

In medicine, an obstruction.

Wouldn’t ya know the psychologists paint it perfectly “A sudden cessation of speech or a thought process without an immediate observable cause, sometimes considered a consequence of repression. Also called mental block . “

Go on the block: for sale.

Out of the blocks: the starting position for a race…

TWB, don’t let a little ole thing like writer’s block strap you down. You rock girl, as does your writing. If you should ever attempt to start blogging again, PLEASE don’t let writer’s block catchup to you.. . You’re much too wise, above that. Please keep on keepin’ on.

I don’t have a clever ending here. Very sorry. My mind is blocked. I do love those that have read. My sense of humor vein must be blocked. Thinking back to ‘passing out’ blogs, I gotta block that shit out… could be a real blockage…

I reckon the main point here… thinka life/your brain, as filter… allow in what u want.. Block what you don’t…Life, inspitea an occasional roadblock, it be good. Race urass around the block? Love, Victurd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a HOOT Victurd, and yes, every bit the funny, satirical, whitty writer I said you were. I actually thought about another blog last night - a blog about peri-menopause of all things :) I recently received that moniker and I asked my doc if I could maybe use that in my professional life...TWB, Peri-Menopausal, don't fuck with me or I'll get all irrational, weepy, consiracy theory on your ass.