Saturday, August 18, 2007

I can just tell........

Do you have that sixth sense about people? I’d always thought I had… Of life, I’ve noticed if I see someone in a knowingly uncomfy position - I try to break the ice, bring in some levity. A new coworker - say. Ya just know their tummy is churning inside - no one likes ‘starting over’ in a new environment - that feel of having all eyeballs placed squarely on you…

But that really ain’t the “I can just tell” kinda thing I meant. One, two, four, twelve trips to a local establishment in our fine old hometown - onea the ‘regulars’ blurts out ‘HI VIC!”.. “Hey Dennis, howya doin?”…

So we sit by each other…. He started talking about people…. In general… and soon he winged a compliment at me.. “Dennis… you don’t even know me and the kinda person I am.”
“I can just tell, and I’m usually right on.”

You?

If there’s someone I don’t know… or am still (dammit) in the judgmental mode - I stand back, afar - and observe. Listening is one of life’s great teachers.

Love. I’ve said it before, I can fall in love in the aisle at Piggly Wiggly. Shit, just this morning, happened to be behind some knockout (wonderful wonderful smile.. Oh and never-ending legs in a short SHORT black dress)- walked out to the car behind her - and I really think I’m goofy enough I’da jumped in with her - and ridden off into Happyland for ‘er and ‘er…

We don’t know… do we?

Love/living, to me, is like exiting the high dive. There ain’t no goin’ back. Only if you video tape it, rewind it - can you go from the water back up to the board. We jump/dive in - and we’re at the mercy of not knowing. I can’t just tell. I think I can, but I really can’t.

Stealing from Mother Teresa: People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered,
LOVE THEM ANYWAY….

A marriage covenant. Broken. What you spent years building
may be destroyed overnight, BUILD ANYWAY

Work two hours overtime a night, every night for an entire summer. Come in on at least one, if not two of your weekend days. Then get called into the ‘principal’s office’ for that extra cig - or, for checking one’s Hotmail. The good you do will
be forgotten tomorrow, DO GOOD ANYWAY

It’s really really hard to just know. We, people, are selfish, will upon occasion take for our own taking, spin things to our own advantage. People really need help but
may attack you if you help them, HELP PEOPLE ANYWAY.

To dive in the water, not knowing, not being able to tell - can make water murky. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives, If you are successful, you win
false friends and true enemies, DO GOOD ANYWAY, SUCCEED ANYWAY.

We are human, all of us. We get hurt, we hurt. You can’t “just tell” about someone. I’ve learned that lesson in marriage - and sheepishly, have had occasions where I’ve learned about me. Them ALL CAP ones ARE from Mother Teresa. Next one’s mine.

If you do dive in… into friendship… into marriage… into family events… into nuclear families.. into dating… into employment… into life… you’re bound to be dumped, bid adieu, hurt, have a bridge burnt, find out your date is Goldilocks and you’re just “too” something.. Sit back and wonder (in the down times) about life and it’s worth. DIVE IN ANYWAY.

Happy swimming, love, Victurd.

No comments: