Wednesday, January 09, 2019

I'm gonna take a freight train..........

I genuinely classify myself as a dummy. Life whizzes by/on, and oft times I don't take the time to pay attention.

Long, long ago.. as I sat in the living room with wifey #2 (I think it was), life then had been whizzing by.. twenty or so years with that one, hey, all was going good. Ceptin', maybe I wasn't paying attention. Huh? One day, I looked at a painting on the wall, asked, "when did we get that?"... "Two years ago."

The "Can't you see" song (circa 1973), has long been one of my favs. Like much in my life, I didn't take the time to stop and really pay attention to it. It wasn't until a few years ago I learned who sang it, and it wasn't until this morning I Wiki'ed "The Marshall Tucker Band."

I learned, much.

Marshall Tucker ain't, wasn't, in the band. They were in a rented warehouse space practicing long ago, discussing "what should we call ourselves?".. Ideas were tossed, then finally someone saw the inscription on the door "Marshall Tucker." "Hey, that sounds good, let's do it" not knowing Marshall Tucker was an actual person. In fact, he was a blind piano tuner who had earlier leased the space.

I then rewatched (<- is that a word?) the youtube video of "Can't you see".. young... of course long-haired.. wow, the dude's voice.. the rhythm.. the guitar.. oh, and the flute. Yum, the flute. (After 20 or 30 years of my adult life had whizzed by I so noticed "Damn I really like the flute.. and I really also like the sax.").. The watch was a real happy trance..

OK, what else about them Victor, are they still performing?

Yes, kinda. As my eyeballs that hadn't focused on them for almost 50 years, focused s'more, twas sad to see there's only one original band member playing today. Kinda like life I reckon. Three of the five are now deceased. The band has marched onto stages around the world with 32 different members. Well, at least the number 32 makes me feel better about my "Can't you see oh can't you see, What that woman, she been doin' to me" couple of marriages. Victor, TMI, please go on......

That's really about it as far as the band.. I just wanted to learn, have. One day I will roam to the World War One Museum in our fine city as sadly Can't You See I didn't pay attention in school, am embarrassed I don't know enough about that War.. life has whizzed by and I've been mesmerized between the white lines of life - and ain't paid attention.

Last night. The Wall speech. I PROMISE this will be real quick. Our nation is whizzing on itself. Half hollering "Can't you see?" with the other half replying, "No, Can't YOU see?" It makes me wanna take a nap, or a crap (sorry), or put the pillow over my head so I Can't you see.. or, take a freight train.. or, go to youtube and maybe crank "Can't you see."

"Can't you see" is kind of a story about life. From my stinky shoes anyways. (I don't wear socks. I HATE socks. I know my feet stink. Frankly, my dear, I don't... ahm, Can't you smell?, hehe.. Ok where was I when my brain stopped, I was whizzing right on past my thought...)

Oh yeah, life.

Can't you see oh can't you see
What that woman, she been doin' to me
Can't you see, can't you see
What that woman lord been doin' to me....

Or, Can't you see, oh can't you see
What that (that being: overeating, booze, cigs, worry, political woes, money woes, parenting woes, relationship woes, work woes, car, AC, furnace, lawnmower, neighbor, blood pressure, Mueller, Buehler... WOES as in WOAHHHHH, that's a lotta WOES.. whereinthehell are the Supremes and "STOP IN THE NAME OF LOVE" whenya need 'em?)...

Anways, all them woes..
Can't you see oh can't you see
What them woes, they been doin' to me
Can't you see, can't you see
What them woes lord been doin' to me..

Just when we get all stressy, hyped up.. ahhhhhhh, along comes that therapeutic FLUTE part.. life settles down.. all is good.

No need to climb me a mountain, jump off, nobody gonna know.. no need to find me a hole in the wall, to crawl in side and die.. no need to buy me a ticket, ride me a Southbound, all the way to Georgia, till the train run outta track....

Were you aware one who plays the flute is considered to be a 'flautest'? Me neither, you see, life has been whizzing by and I ain't paid attention. WHY the 'a'? Why the friggin 'a'? That's ALMOST as bad as "no D" in refrigerator. Ever eat a pine tree?

This blog reminds me of one day a dude was talking and he said "you know, it's sometimes kinda hard to figure out, like one of Vic's blogs." Hehe. I loved that.

Bottomline. Life is pretty damn good. Sh!t happens. Lots. We get whizzed on. We sadly whizz on things. The names, the places, the jobs, the homes, the cities, yada, a lotta times they change.

Then along comes the flute.. or the sax... or happy.. or a smiling grandkid... the dog's tail wag... the kitten's purr.. or a 300 cheeseburger from the bowling alley.. or your favorite "hubba hubba" newscaster on local, CNN, Fox, NBC, etc.. or a youtube video of Marshall Tucker.. and yum.. all this time.. all this whizzin'.. we are reminded - life is pretty damn good.

Can't you see?

Henry Gibson can

Love, Victurd

No comments: