Saturday, September 08, 2007

Rainbows......

Thursday morning, as I drove into work - there was this incredible halfa rainbow in my path… no matter which way the Interstate curved - it always managed to be at the precise location of where I was going.

I hurried a bit - anxious to get to the parking lot at work…. Kinda a big, huge open space - perhaps there I’d get a closer view of the end of the rainbow. The pot of gold.

So…. The thirty-five minute drive was reduced to twenty-seven minutes - and as I arrived at the vast, open space - I was no more closer to the end than I was when I left from home.

Then I deducted, rainbows are like life. Gorgeous. Those super special, perhaps somewhat infrequent moments - when everything has to be simply perfect. We have those in life. A moment when you look at your kid and their zestful exuberance for something - and you catch the wondrous smile…

A mate… perhaps simply sleeping there… Thoughts roll thru the brain… smiles happen… you look and you’re reminded of the good times, the fun times, the intimate times… a rainbow moment…

The joy that comes to your face when you’ve purchased a Christmas or birthday present that is opened and met with exhilaration. Catching an elderly one smiling and taking it all in….

In the old movie Parenthood (sorry, stuck on that, it’s a fav of mine)… when Steve Martin’s youngest has forged up to the stage to stickup for his brother.. And the play was basically ruined… Martin went thru a rainbow moment… some of the people were laughing at him for being the parent of this child who ruined the play (like life’s dips).. Then he glanced at his wife’s mother - and remembered her line “the roller coaster is my favorite.” He rode the low into the high.. Then glanced across to his wife - who was so proudly smiling for the vim and vigor of her youngest… an out of body experience for him of life - and all there is about it - and what there is to appreciate - and to not worry about. A rainbow moment.

I lost eight minutes that day hurrying up to find the end of the rainbow. I coulda taken that time to actually count the hues. To perhaps more closely observe the eyes of other motorists - taking this wonder in. Coulda peeked closer at the storm in the Western sky, and then over to the calm of the Eastern sky, and then penciled in on the wonder ‘tween them.

I didn’t. I hurried for gratification - and once I arrived I missed the point, living, watching, taking it all in as we go IS the gratification.

Life is gracious. Please drive the speed limit of life. Love, Victurd

No comments: