Monday, August 08, 2005

Tis the season........

Seasons…… I’ve long mentioned my penchant for wanting to live in Florida…. Something about going to the Piggly Wiggly and sharing the isle with chicks in bikini’s… Comfort, calm… Then ‘they’ tell me “NOOOO, all those damn New Yooorkers go there to retire, they’re rude as hell.”.. .Or, “Are you nuts? What about hurricanes?”…

Well, I gotta admit I would miss the seasons. There’s something to be said for comparing a string of lights strewn over a wimpy palm tree versus adorned over a fresh cut cedar that G-Pa just hustled from the country.

Today as I looked out across all the trees from where I work, already there are signs of fall. Hell, it could be the damn drought we’ve had - but many trees are already changing - and before you know it, they’ll be wondrous, then suddenly barren.

Bill Cosby said “October is my favorite time of year…. The flies get slow.” October is all about transition. Decent utility bills… crisp air reminding us football season is near (Ok, sorry, forget you are mostly chicks… but that’s important to us piggies)…… Time to put away the short sleeve goodies, and space out your long-sleeved items. (Or, if you’re a single ole man, you go to lumberyard and buy a 6’ metal pole… make an upper level and a lower level in your closet - then you gotta nuff room you can store clothes for any damn occasion/temperature. Much simpler than boxing, toting them up/down the damn stairs each seasonal change.)

I remember being in college seeing this couple huddled at a football game in the bleachers under a blankie… She, nose red from the biting wind, dropping temps… he with arm around her as if to protect and love. I remember thinking “I want me one-a them situations.” Is love stronger in the fall? Is summer too damn sweaty to wanna get close? Is winter too damn cold to have all of your senses to feel? I reckon fall rocks.

Fall is getting rid of the damn rugrats from the 24/7 summer. Fall is all about putting a screeching halt on AC bills from the summer. Fall says “OK, this is the period of the year that genuinely prepares you for winter.”

Winter? Shit. I wonder about the price of housing in St. Pete. I wonder if “she” lives down there? Well, at least the grocery shopping would be more interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vic--don't forget about the giant insects in Florida and unless you live on the beach, the unbelievable humidity. If you like older women, Florida may be the place for you. But remember what Dorothy said: "There's no place like home." What she was looking for was right in her own backyard. Look around Vic--that may be the case for you.