Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The art of giving.......

I never mastered it. My sister was THE BEST. Not necessarily materially (although she did that too)- you could talk to her on the phone... or go in person and visit... and you'd leave with such great self esteem cause she had this way of building one up.

Girl at work. Fairly new hire - which translates to "not a lotta dough." Daily she has something for everyone. If it's not a 5 gallon bucket of tomatoes, it's a breakfast casserole on "monthly birthday celebration"... it might be a routine Thursday - and she's cooked up a whole two whatever-they-put-em in dishes... "I've got lunch tomorrow... will you come eat with me?" As if to say, could I be so lucky to have your friendship/comeraderie?

72 year old guy at work. Been at company where I work since he had a 32" waist and dark, dark hair. I arrive at work almost an hour early to sit in his office with a couple of other guys - just to hear his stories of days gone by. He enlightens my day. Tuesday I roll into work. "Hey... go look in my backseat... I've got something for you." Damn. It's a $300 driver (fancy-smancy golf thingamajib)... I mean like this guy is working at age 72 because he HAS to - yet, he's giving gifts like that for no reason?

I'm certain you know givers in your own life... If you've observed them as I have - it's pretty easy to see they simply love life.

TEACH ME TEACH ME to be a giver. Every time I roll by the bakery on the way to work - I threaten to pull in and grab a dozen donuts. I think about the few remaining bills in my billfold - and speed right by thinking "they'll never know I thought it, and didn't do it."

For two years I carried mail in the very poorest section of Kansas City, KS. I was scared shitless at first. Turns out, it doesn't take a three car garage to be happy. One doesn't need designer suits to say "HEY, how's it going Mr. Mailman?"

I got a lotta gimmes: lemonade, soda pop, popsicles, BBQ ribs, cake, etc... mebbe the best though came from an older couple. Their house was not too great - and you wondered whyinthehell they smiled like crazy each and every day from the front porch as you walked by. Mid-spring. They'd grown lots of plant goodies - probably from seed - I dunno. There on the sidewalk was an assortment of beautiful flowers in plastic mini-vases. "Hey Mr. Mailman... take two or three of those... we're giving them away to nice people like you." SEE? They had it all bassackwards. THEY were the giver yet they had the knack to turn the damn things around and make it as if THEY were the lucky ones for sharing/interacting with your life. That rocked. These folks MAYBE had a pot to piss in, I ain't sure.

I drove a Ford Pinto on my route. Once a year the United Postal Workers have this food drive - and folks leave canned goods out for "those less fortunate". I mean shit, who could be less fortunate than the homes I delivered to? Well, musta been someone - for I filled my car THREE times that day with canned goods. Made me sincerely appreciate America - and our thankfulness for what we've got.

Maybe I give at work by spreading humor, I dunno. I'm bummed when I see one without a smile. I do virtually whateverinthehell I can to change that. I love trying to make the mundane fun. Why shouldn't it be? Maybe, in some basackwards way, I do give. (I still drive by the bakery each and every day.)

I had-a elementary school principal where I worked I truly loved as a person. Not only was she a good boss - she was a good friend, a good mother, but she was especially a good giver. When called in for review (remember me? the "can't take personal critiquing" one?).. she'd say nine postivie things about you - and by the time she rolled around to the one thing you very badly need to work on you were like "HELL YES MRS. D - FOR YOU I'LL DO ANYTHING." She knew how to give. She ran the school in A+ fashion - and whilst you were under her employ - you KNEW there were things you could do better - but she had this strange way of twisting things around where it was SHE that was soooo lucky to be able to work with YOU.

I brought in donuts this morning to my 72 year old buddy and the other guys. At age 52, with no hope in sight of learning any new damn sexual techniques - I figured I maybe better try this giving crap. It felt pretty damn good, I will have to admit. If there is a higher power up there - please help me to learn better the art of giving.

Ok, to bed I go....... Sorry this tweren't funny........ I give.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate insomnia. You're right. YOU bring joy and humor to peoples' lives. That is YOUR gift. I hope to meet someone with your sense of humor. Keep smiling!
P.S. I believe Confucius said, "He who is happiest is content with least."