Saturday, January 13, 2018

You've got to be kidding....

I did it, and I hate that.

When driving, on the radio, one station I listen to comes on with a 'teaser'... then states "details after traffic and weather", I slap myself, then them, and, if I've arrived at where I was going, I wait thru the damn traffic and weather to hear The Rest of The Story.

Kids. You've got to be kidding... well, you don't. Many don't enjoy children. I had a boss long ago, really enjoyed working for him - was in the airline industry (cargo sales) but he abhorred kids. You'd jump on a plane next to him, sure as heck there'd be a youngster somewhere nearby - and his eyebrows would furrow - and he tossed, turned, grumbled, growled all the while until the wheels touched down.

Just saw a posting where a kiddo was throwing a fit, someone typed "I can't stand kids, how infuriating."

Hey, it's all good - we as a nation as a people can form our own opinions and I don't begrudge no one (Is that a double negative?)

My own granddaughter, age 2 or thereabouts.. would throw a pretty good fit in WallyWorld.. lay down screaming on the floor, I wasn't sure if she was making "tile angels" or what, but it never failed, as I continued walking and JUST started to turn the corner, she allofasudden got all better, camea runnin.

Awhile back, attended the birthday party of a lass maybe three.. her "a few year older brothers" had taken down the balloon decorations, had 'em entrenched in their hands - for awhile they beat the balloons, then they started beating, chasing each other. Smiles, from them, all around. They were having a very, very nice, LOUD time. Some in the room sat on edge - certainly thinking "I just got a manicure, I can't chew, ok, let's get to the presents, pass out the cake/ice cream and be done with it."

I, and I feel many, are weirdos in that I enjoy children, their behavior. In fact, I think, at sometime between bops to each other's heads I said something like "QUIT ACTING YOUR AGE!"

"Childhood means simplicity. Look at the world with the child's eye - it is very beautiful." Kailish Satyarthi

They ain't been brainwashed. As they play, ride, hop, jump, spat, throw an occasional fit, laugh, laugh s'more - they are forming opines, so that they too will be one day old and grumpy like you/me. I vote, enjoy it before they get there.

Penguin Park here in Kansas City is a fav. The surface is rubberized so should there be a fall, yain't gotta grab the mercurochrome. (They still use that stuff?) There are things to climb, ride, slide for about every age up to middle school - and sometimes, you see middle schoolers cajoled in the reality "I ain't ready for this adult stuff.. I still wanna have fun."

Excitedly, the kids run from one ride to the next slide, get in the penguin, jump on a swing, walk the balance beams, climb on the thing that spins 'em round and round to the point when they jump off they walk like Otis from Andy Griffith. All in the name of fun. Light. C'mon, let's go!

With innocence - they go, do. They share, or not.. or one day learn. They get pushed, learn what that feels like, and then either push back or not. Playgrounds are nice little teachers. Kids fall in love with other kids in a split second. They don't judge, stay at arm's length like us old farts. The belief is 'good', until learned, observed otherwise.

You issue the "5 minutes we're going" summons, and to them, at 5, or 6, that's like two entire SpongeBob episodes. When it comes so quickly, sometimes, if you're a wimp like me (and most of us grandparents are) hear the "NO... I CAN'T leave Sidney!" or was it Susan, I forget.... followed by tears.. maybe rebellion.. mean, mean ole looks, so, you follow with:

"We're gonna stop and get ice cream!" always works for me. Once inside, buckled, we roll. "Cherry on top please grandpa?".. "Ok, I'll ask."... "Sorry sir, we're out of cherries." I curse inwardly, they cry for 7 seconds.. we get the ice cream, we roll. Quiet. I hear quiet.

It's a 15, 20 minute trek - and in that time, they've downed an entire cup of ice cream, managed to get close to 60% in their belly (uh huh, on the other 40%..it's ok, they're my grandkids, I ain't gotta wash their clothes) then, they are OUT LIKE A LIGHT. Zonked.

There's not much more pleasing to the eye as a kid who's gone 90mph to the point they drop. The eyes are the beginning tell all. You see it, They feel it. They fight it. Their little bodies takeover, boom, sleep happens.

You drop 'em off, get all the carseats out.. met at the door by mom/dad and "Oh my" after seeing their clothes. You smile, smooch, "bye bye."

In a day or so, before you've got to be somewhere in an hour, you swing by to say a quick "Hello"... CAN YOU TAKE US TO PENGUIN PARK? "Ahhm, well, today I can't" and in a millisecond you go from hero to Cruella Deville." "BUT, Sunday, let's go the The Fun Run (an indoor extravaganza with hella inflatables where they can run, jump, slide, "yes, you can have a drink and some candy", fall quickly in love with a new friend - and we repeat the "5 minutes we're going" allover again.)

Children, I've found, are much more fun that boring adults. Maybe I'm simply an older middle schooler and whilst I've had quite a bit of practice, I tire of this adult gig - so I too, even if for a brief two hour outing, can return to childhood where it's another day, another adventure.

You've got to be kidding. Yes, thankfully, I am, and I very much enjoy it. You?

Love, PapaVicturd

No comments: