Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Tracks of my fears....

Andy Reid's pat answer is "It's how we roll."

How do you roll?

Do you live the streetcar pace of life? No desire to set speed records, get off course - same ole same ole works every day? I will admit, I love those 'Lazy River' circular water attraction 'rides' where you go round, and round, and round - and it's seemingly effortless.

Slot car kinda life? You want limits (the tracks) but, you periodically press that button, stoke it up, pass everyone at breakneck speed due to need? When the thrill is past, you can return to the regular ole regular pace, knowing you've got that thrill button in your back pocket - any time you wanna......

Rollercoaster kinda life to your liking? A thrill a minute? No worries about a steel girder taking your head off around the next corner? Take me life, take me fast, take me up, take me down - make me spin, make me dizzy - I wanna suckup every little bitta thrill this life has to offer. Nomme. Incontinence.

I've always been intrigued with those trucks the railroad owns - you know, they have the capability to put the wheels down - ride the tracks, in someone elses control - or, raise 'em up, offroad baby, let's go! As I age, this mode of transport is kinda to my liking - the steadiness of same ole same ole, with the capability of the youthful "you only go round once" offroad pleasure, fun.

Then, we have those that always drive the car themselves - brake rapidly when it goes from 55mph down to 45mph - set the cruise either at the speed limit - or, a mile or two under. Never question authority, good citizen is the perk, pleasure, life quest.

The tailgater. When I think of tailgaters, the angry emoji always comes to fore. Slow down, ya move to fast, you got to make the morning last, just kicking down the cobble stones, looking for fun and feeling groovy. Who is the tailgater? I dunno, so I Googled. Google tells us "they always have the emergency supplies... buy in bulk (showed a person with 12 plastic grocery sacks on each arm).. snack dad/mom... parking wizard... everyone's handyman... do sports harder than everyone else.. grill master.. Well, I admit I've always associated negative conotations with tailgaters.. I always surmised male tailgaters as being henpecked, thus, their release/get back.. I usedta slow down when one was breathing down my neck.. today, with all the road rage, don't think that's the thing to do. I'll suffice in saying "not my chosen way.. but, understand it works for many."

We've all witnessed the crotchrockets in life... rolling along on Interstate around the speed limit, you hear that roar, you look in the rear view mirror - paaazooooommmm, allofasudden, they're around you, past you, and soon, outta sight. Nomme. Life expectancy surely wouldn't be so great.

Or, I've got a couple buddies with private pilot licenses, as well as a couple buddies who fly for an airline.. Wow.. I certainly, albeit sometimes with white knuckles, enjoy flying - getting there even faster than the crotchrockets of life would be nice - but I ain't got the watoosies to be in control of that myself.

Of course we've got our own modes... walking, running. At 65, I'm not real fond of the hills, the uneven sidewalks, the temps, but back in the day I certainly enjoyed the scenic wonder of walking, running. There's not much of a feel equal to the great outdoors. I have two buddies (one just older, other, just younger) that walk 2 miles every morning no matter the brutality of the temperature extremes. I hate 'em, they're both skinny and can look down and see their toes without a belly getting in their way. Another gal friend, a few years younger, same. Daily walks. Envious. I know I know I could, the self discipline has always blocked my doorway. Gimme treadmill, gimme elliptical.

Boat people. Motor variety, wind/sail variety. Yum. I don't know anyone that actually lives on a boat - but I know many that periodically 'collect' endorphins via these watertop means. Yep, canoe, kayak folks too. Those I can/do do. Never owned a boat though, reckon I don't trust me, my mechanical inability to keep those kinda things up to snuff.

Message. I wake up daily, lay in bed, check the phone, remind myself what day it is, what time it is, venture thru the "to do's" for the day. Make coffee, go pee, then pass by this computer. All the while thinking "should I blog, and if so, what about?" I dunno how I got here today... but if this does have a message, it's "Ain't life grand?"

We can chose whatever mode, whenever. We don't haveta be like anyone else. We can put things in other's control,or, go offroad.. We can crank it if we wanna. Go slow, take in the scenery. Play atop the water, soar through the clouds. All of the above, none of the above, some of the above, our choice, our life. All the while, *not bemoaning others, their choices. *Editor's note, except for the tailgater.

It's how we roll. How do you roll? Happy rolling to you, love, Victurd.

No comments: