Monday, January 08, 2018

School's out...

Now what?

I, quite frankly, wasn't a very good student. It wasn't because I didn't care - it was simply (or difficultly, dependent on your take) not easy to stay attentive. I am pretty sure I was ADHD before they ever defined it, abbreviated it, medicated it.

Thankfully, I'm learning education doesn't end once you're out from behind the desk.

Yesterday, I was on the heels of having worked out three consecutive days, so I asked myself "Go workout, or, go grab a 300 burger from the bowling alley?" (If you've ever been to Liberty, MO and had one, you'd understand the magnetism - simplification of the choice.) Victor, I'm sorry, I find you frequently rationalize to stay away from the gym. Yeah, that too.

Ring. "Retro Bowl, how can I help you?" Can you patch me thru to the snack bar?... "Sure, justa sec Sir"... "Well, I apologize, she's buried back there, would you be OK if I took your order and took it to her?" He took my order ("Ketchup and pickles only please, to eat there")..."Yessir," and he repeated the order, then, he thanked me.

You know kids nowadays.. Millenials.. the sit-on-their-hiney-do-nothings.. I pictured some young fella, scribbling what I'd ordered - me driving to the bowling alley, only to learn he'd had stared at his phone, maybe texted his girlfriend in the meantime, and had neglected to relay my order and that it still laid chickenscratched on a piece of paper on the counter.

"My name is Vic, I had a call in order for here." "Yessir Vic - I know just where it is." Gal grabbed it, handed it to me, and I then gobbled up a yummy, hot, 2 patty burg, complete with, thankfully, ketchup and pickles.

Victor, whatinthehell does this have to do with "School's out?"

Well, it was a Sunday, but that ain't the point.

I finally spied the dude who'd taken my order, inside working the main counter.. early 20-something.. and upon closer inspection he had those ear rings where they make a hole, stretch, and stretch, AND stretch, and then insert those big ole 'dog bone looking' things. "Yuck, eww, oh my gosh, that HAD to hurt" I told myself.

As I was gobbling, I observed, and again, I'm finding I learn way more outside of the classroom than I ever did in it. The 'kid' (who had taken my order) waited on people hand over foot, called numerous 40" to 50" kiddos "Sir" and "Ma'am." Ran here, ran there, fixed this, got that, gave those. I watched for 15 minutes, he was non-stop 'help' to others, and didn't look at his phone one dang time.

It's twue, it's twue, it's reawwy twue........... I am now more attentive than I ever was in school. First, I invisibly slapped myself for being judgmental - for grouping young/millennial with 'bad.' If you've been here before, you know I HATE "we/they", labeling - and I was guilty as sin for doing it myself.

I gave myself a second slap - for the "yuck, eww, OMG" thoughts on the earrings. A "why not" proponent my entire life - forgive me Father, for I slipped, judged. (I'm TRYING Father.. will admit though, I still have a hard time thinking about being 20-something, participating in a liplock with a gal that has a treble hook protruding from her nose. Maybe one day I will fully get there.)

As I ketchuped up the last French fry, devoured the last nibble of bread, ground beef - I put all my trash away and headed to the restroom. The entire way I thought to myself "the owner probably does know, but if she doesn't, this 'kid' was wonderful hire - and she's lucky."

He's lucky too. I dunno if he learned 'nice' at home, sitting behind a school desk, from friends, siblings, role models - but what a wonderful lifetime thing it is to be nice. Congrats 'kid.'

After I peed (yes, I washed) I swung by the counter, eyeballed the young earring dude.. wanted to say something.. hesitated.. then thought "what the heck."

"Hi. You took my order" (Uh oh, had it been me in his 25 yr old shoes I woulda thought "this ole geezer is gonna blast me 'cause they forgot and added mustard or something").. "and I wanted to thank you. I also watched and saw how nice you've been to all the kids and parents here... just wanted to say thanks, and that being 'nice' and helpful is a really good thing."

He was very gracious, then asked "hey, how was your food, everything taste ok?" Were I a rich entrepreneur, I woulda offered this 'kid' a job right then and there, for he's headed to a life of success. Sadly for him I ain't, so "thanks, you're nice" will have to suffice.

The message is, to me, "don't judge you idiot."

Further, you can teach an old ADHD dog new tricks, and that education does not end once school's out.

Love, Victurd

No comments: