Monday, November 29, 2010

Victor… you’re REALLY quoting the Bible? YOU?

Yeah, reckon I am. Will, here in a sec.

Wednesday… Co-worker did something that (pardon my French) “M'a pissé vraiment loin”… (I think that’s French for “really pissed me off”).. or, at least that’s what freetranslation.com said.

So, no matter how many Turkey drumsticks I devoured, I couldn’t get this bad taste outta my mouth. I seethed, for bits and pieces of Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun/today.. and planned/plotted “This is what I’ll do… That is what I’ll say.. I’ll SHOW THEM!”… Stressy, I have been stressy – and I hates that.

Then… just now, eating peanut butter sandwich for lunch in car.. set in to challenge the Sudoku puzzle. Adding to my present “seething” was the fact that this is Monday.. the Sudoku puzzle on Monday is cinchy (they start out easy.. #1 on a scale of 6.. and get harder as the week progresses) was giving me additional fits. Trouble finishing. Usually, I’m done in 5 minutes. Not today.

So………. eyes wondered. Just below Sudoku… Billy… as in Bill Graham.. Headline read “REVENGE CAN ONLY LEAD YOU ASTRAY”…

No Billy, say it ain’t so…… I’ve got such good “Get back at this person” plans, can’t I follow thru?

Twas a letter from someone to Mr. Graham: “Someone hurt me very deeply about two years ago, and know I have opportunity to really get back at her. My mother says I shouldn’t do it, but I see no reason not to. What this person did was wrong, so why should she be allowed to get away with it?”…..signed, CJ…

“Dear CJ.. Wanting to strike back and hurt someone who has hurt us is a common human reaction, but doesn’t make it right. The Bible urges us to take a different path: “Do not repay anyone evil for evil… Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Romans 12:17,21.)”

Darnit.. makes sense. Now I feel goofy……

Billy continued “What’s wrong with seeking revenge? For one thing, it seldom solves anything. At best, this person will remain your enemy; at worst, she’ll retaliate against you in some way, starting a cycle that may never end…..

Revenge is also wrong because it’s fueled by anger. Let’s face it: You aren’t really interested in justice – you simply want to see this person suffer. But anger will only lead you astray. This is why the Bible says “A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.” (Proverbs 29:11)

Ok, so, reckon I’m kinda glad Sudoku was hard today. Kinda glad my eyes, mind wandered. Kinda glad I didn’t give in to being a fool. I was darn close to open mouth/insert foot.

Even better – I feel better about this all now. Hey.. you… if you’re here.. please remember: I write to me. Hitchhikers welcome. ie, ain’t preaching. I’m learning.

One day Billy, I’ll get there all the way. For now, heading back outside for a cig to finish up my smoke break. Thanks – I don’t even have interest now in retaliation, seeing anyone suffer. Party on. Love, Victurd.

No comments: