Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chet’s nuts roasting on an open fire…..

Sorry, I ain’t the number one fan of winter. SAD. Or, that’s what they say. THIS ‘affect’ I know. The new moniker for depression in the winter is “Seasonal Affective Disorder.”

I’m much cozier with GDIHWACWFITGO. (Gosh Darn I Hate Winter And Can’t Wait For It To Get Over.) And this crap JUST started.

Winter makes me sluggish. I get food cravings. I can’t do my regular outdoor exercise, so I run to the fridge. (Victor, wheninthehell was the last time you did “regular outdoor exercise?”)… Oh, I dunno.. Tween my junior and senior years I spose. (What I thought.)

The shorter days mess with our body clock… our little brain is in overdrive trying to produce melatonin – a hormone that regulates the body/clock.. sleep patterns, AND is linked to depression. SAD.

A chicky at work has already written in FB “Kids are already driving me nuts and its not even winter yet.... What is it that I have done to make them this way... I am glad everyone else thinks they are great because I think that they are terrors.. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day..”

Patience is shorter. Days shorter. Shorter path to fridge. Tendency to “I think I’ll sit this one out and hunker down under this fabulous comforter.”.. Average dude gains 6-7 lbs in winter. SAD.

Move, right? I likes it here. No, not extremely fond of winters – but me thinks just by having winter we get a tad more appreciation for Spring, Summer, Fall.

Driving in it is poopy. The preparation just to get to the point where you can drive (scooping sidewalks, scraping windows, letting engine run to make sure icicles don’t form on you en route.)

Check coolant. Check battery. Get tuneup. Check wipers. Fill tank. Fill washer fluid. Carry sand bags. Get snow tires. Carry supplies. Have your phone. Tire chains. Clean off your car. Go slow.

Winter driving. Yuck. The consequences can be very dire. You could end up sliding towards a guard rail wondering if your affairs are in order, or, as Dave Barry would say, stuck on a deserted road and then passing through the digestive system of wolves.

SAD. Happy does happen during SAD (Thanksgiving, Christmas, football, HS kids basketball.. least, that’s my list).. but I oh-so look forward to Spring. Hop, skip, jump perty please.

Oh well. Here we go. Reckon should simply be thankful for even getting another winter. Why couldn’t our Keeper have made it so WE hibernate too? I wouldn’t mind. I enjoy sleep.

In reality – I love winter. Special stuff happens where there’s no time other in the year to ‘get into the spirit’.. to recognize and espouse “Thanks.” Mostly happy, sometimes SAD.

Slip slidin’ away. Love, Victurd

No comments: