Friday, August 01, 2008

Taking a break…….

I sat here tonight… stared at the monitor.. Happens.. Trying to finger out a way to keep the one comment every 4th or 7th blog a comin’… Couldn’t… Weird facts? I searched.. Nah, everyone gets those in emails.. They know an elephant can’t jump.. They’re aware ants don’t sleep…

Hair! That’s it, I’ll do a blog on hair! Oops, backa my mind, I think I’ve already done that. Searched. Yep. November 12th, 2007, there it was.

Funerals and life (I’d just attended the funeral of a co-worker’s father.. I like love this lady as a person.. She is GOOD personified… lived right forever and ever… I’ve missed some funerals in the day, and I hang my head… Shouldn’ta, but did… I realized when my folks, sister passed, just having someone there, just saying “I’m sorry” is way more than enough.. And sometimes I still slip.. Nah, not funerals… not tonight….

I really contemplated totally taking a break.. Then I thought, why not “breaks”? Victor, I think the question mark is supposedta go inside the "-thingy. Grits.

Friday is probably my favorite day. I enjoy Friday evenings probably more than any other too. People are happy. They’ve finished the week (With apologies to all bank employees, WalMart greeters, Professional athletes, or any one else who ain’t got M-F, 8-5 or close)…

I’ve been “going out” on Friday nights. Didn’t tonight. Tired. Worked late. Probably wouldn’t be able to find my running buds - which is all fancy for it’s close to payday, and the bank balance says “Woahhhh Nellie”….

So, a break tonight.

You a ‘foot-soldier‘ like me? Have breaks at your work?

Breaks are great. There, all in one fitteen minute period (sometimes I take more, they got cameras, sue me) you can figure out “I really like this person/their heart“, “I can‘t stand this arrogant, obnoxious, know-it-all sonafagun“, “she‘s married, WHY, WHY the cleavage?”, ”She/he is hilarious, I LOVE her!”

I have a tongue in cheek goal, of hopefully having people not like me. So. I go to break with the newspaper under arm. Say sumpin like (as I sit at round concrete table with 5 co-workers) “brought this, figured the conversation might bore me.”… or… “It‘s BREAK time, are you gonna fuggin‘ talk about WORK during the GD (gosh darn)entire BREAK?”

Breaks kinda remind me of High School. Victor? You can remember back that far? No, for real. This clique meets here. Those two sit there. She goes into the parking lot, talks to whomever she talks to on her cell every break. The class clown. Could be 105 degrees, twelve of us backed up to the building to catch the six inches of remaining shade.. The class clown stands opposite, some ten feet away. “All eyeballs on me.” Hwwwaack - ppateeeew, patooey!

Breaks.. Halftime.. 7th inning stretch.. Coke after nine holes. Victor, when‘s the last time you had a Coke after nine holes?… Ahem.. Beer after nine holes… .TV Commercial.. Cig halfway through mowing the yard..

Whilst I’m enthralled with the word intent, society has invented this thing called “break” to cut-up the fervid intent work brings upon us.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh when I was a kid.. Victor, you still act like a kid. Pssssssssssstt.. There. A little pepper spray. Hows that? Still think I act like a kid?……… when I was a kid, worked for the local City’s Park Department. Fun work, but damn it got hot. Boss’d come by twice a day to fetch us up in the pickemup truck and head for the coffee shop.

We kids would constantly try to get our boss into story-tellin’, cause if we did, fitteen minutes quickly turned into 22, 34 minutes.

Mosta the time there were too many heads for one truck, so one of us drove another City vehicle. Tommie was our boss. We LOVED Tommie. Yet, because of his niceness, we’d do stupid stuff like turn the radio in his truck up full blast (whilst he was already inside drinking coffee) the wipers, the heat, anything else we could turn on, we did. He took it in reasonably good stride………. Until……

Until the day… we’d been pruning trees.. U know that sticky black stuff you spray on the tree so the “wound” heals?.. Uh huh, I did, to Tommie’s steering wheel. Oh shit, I’d pushed the envelope. Run that 50-something did after me. “Dear God PLEASE spare me! I was just funning’!”…

Fortunately, my legs won out.. His temperament eased… and we were to go/do it another day. I do think had he caught me, my obit woulda read 19-fitty-2 to 1970.

Sorry to ramble, I was really gonna take a break. I love breaks. It’s the “Getting to know” part at work. Fun. Friendship. Learning about one another. Showing care, receiving concern about your own like/goings on. A respite.

Victor, I think you’d already done a blog on breaks.

GD where’d I put that tree pruning spray? Give me a break. Loveya, Victurd.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To this day Jan and I tease Gracie about a time when she ran in to the local Safeway probably for a pack of cigs and we waited in the car and did the same trick you described, without sticky tree stuff. Just the blare of the Big Band Sound we found on an alternate station was enough to send her over the edge!! One of those last straw days when the story of what sent you over the edge sounds so preposterous... people really think you are nuts!!! Actually, there was not much sport in sending Gracie over the edge, but we still did it anyway and then just laughed and laughed!!!

Check engine light said...

A great story CJ... Almost as if "I was there too!".. Fun. Life, it be fun. Long live the "kid at heart" in us all.