Sunday, August 24, 2008

It’s Sunday. Brain, gas tank, on empty…….

Victor, I knew you’d write, even after you typed that header. Yes, I guess it’s what I do. Carry on. It hella beats sitting around in a group and yapping, for there, there are no options. Sounds come out, people are force fed. Here, you have the option of “click”, “seeya checkenginelight.blogspot.com, you’re boring me!~ Or, mebbe even writing a comment in protest of my views. So…….. Nanny nanny boo boo.

Good versus evil..

I do believe I’m a good person. I am not a perfect person by any stretch of the imagination, but basically I hate cruelty, discrimination, abuse, uppity ness, that stuff.

My heroes haven’t always been cowboys, but Marshall Dillon was onea my first. Good. His life (TV life) was centered around good.

My grandparents (probably yours too… the hell has happened to our society since) were very good people. My grandfather, for I dunno how many years, faithfully sat on his front porch, transistor radio by his side, listening to every inning of Harry Caray calling the St. Louis Cardinal games. He proudly hung the monthly schedule of their games on the kitchen wall so he wouldn’t forget to ‘be there’. My grandmother, loving her hubby’s love of the beer maker’s baseball team, proudly cut out Billy Graham articles and plastered them atop the Bud Bottle that adorned every month on that calendar. Good people.

Buck O’Neill. Just listening to the man always gave me that “Thank you God for life here on this planet, I’m blessed… I’ll try harder.. I’ll ‘do gooder‘… It’s wondrous here.” I miss him, very much.

Lady at work. Fine, fine lady. Claims she was a wild child long ago, but I have a hard time believing it. Virtually every time she hangs up the phone after conversing with a customer or vendor, I spew from two cubicles away “___________, will you quit being so nice?” But she, by nature, is good. Not fake. Not with ulterior motive, she’s “good.” Good people. She has the remarkable ability to hear (garbage in) and respond positively - without hurt or judgment. Bill Gates will never create anything near that fast producing such a wonderful result.

My mother and my sister. Of course, the vast majority of us hold our mothers and sisters in awe, and I am no exception. They each had the uncanny ability to do something wonderful for someone, and somehow twist it around that the person they’d done for was responsible for their happiness. They just each had their own way to manifest self worth in others.

Victor. Is this headed down the “paper or plastic” path? Are you like on the verge of robbing a bank or something? Well? You did type evil next to good. Out with it.

No, no, no. None of that. Well, mostly none of that. Mebbe the paper or plastic thing. My dilemma is….. I would be with someone without the “L” word being involved. Am I going to hell? Will my picture on a calendar be covered by articles from the Sunday Faith section? I’ve fumbled the routine grounder of life in that I can’t even create positive self worth within.

But it’s me. It’s who I am. I still love me, but that’s an evil… I guess. Am I a normal (male) human being, or, should I keep a hefty supply of sunblock handy for when I pee my pants, forget my name and “go South.’?

I love good. I love my grandparents. I loved Buck. I certainly love my mother and sister.

Ok, let’s take a moment for good…… Holding the door for someone. Motioning at a 4-way stop “you go ahead.”.. Saying “hi” in the frozen food aisle of the Piggly Wiggly to a complete stranger… Smiling at the moment your eyeballs meet anyone.. Thanking someone… Writing a note/email to say “you matter… I like you.”… Asking about others/their family.. Searching until you find that perfect gift for a family member or friend…A phone call for no reason..

I do all that stuff. I even (I think) work my way around life in effort to upgrade other’s self esteem.

Then I slip.

Evil enters. Actually, it’s already there. Wanna fool around? Call me, 867-5309. I promise though, after, I’ll “do gooder.”

Love,
Victurd.

No comments: