Monday, August 25, 2008

Just got word….

My very wonderful uncle has made the conversion from upright, to bedridden. He’s in his 80’s, a happy, happy man. Always. Some form of leukemia is advancing. Grandchildren are flying in from different reaches of the country. He’s surrounded 24/7 by loved ones. His time is short.

It’s eventual for us all. Glenn understands that. He’s lived life fully, choosing happiness. The first to ask all about you. Attended literally thousands and thousands of little league, junior high events of his children, grandchildren, great grand children.

Here we go again. It’s all about precious moments on earth. If these blogs do nothing else (I know many are stupid, selfish “Victor rants”) hopefully at least they’ll bring an awareness of how fleeting it all is.

Close your eyes. Think back twenty years ago. Who was around you? Christmas time. Who was there? Friends. Older ones. K, now open your eyes. How many of them have departed?

Buddy o’ mine recently took his 80-something mother to Utah (by car) to watch her grandson (his son) compete in some type of solar event. They had a wonderful time – but in the course of the conversation he’d mentioned how much easier it would have been had mom stayed home. He knew when he said it he shouldn’t have. Please don’t get me wrong, this son is VERY good to his mother.

I told him I’d give up a year of my life to be able to travel cross country with my mother.

Another friend, after reading here, yesterday went to see her parents. In their 80’s. She actually mentioned the trip was kinda-sorta brought on after reading of the demise of my nuclear family. I feel pretty good about her trip. She closed her eyes and thought of twenty years ago – and instead of going with the flow of status quo – she returned, added memories to her/their lives.

It’s always sad to learn of the life struggles of a loved one, and their treacherous path to heaven. If there’s good from it – it’s that our struggles maybe aren’t quite as humongous as they seem. Why waste time on being down by our own personal woes (I do sometimes though) when life is actually a multiple choice question and the right answer is there staring us in the face.

Call a friend. Email a loved one. Go to lunch with a favorite. Hug your kid. Spread the word “love.” Smile. It’s such a nicer option.

If you have friends, loved ones in mid-struggle, I’m very sorry – and I will pray.

Off I go to hopefully have as much fun as Glenn Reed does in his life. When I’m reduced to flat on my back, I want to be just like him and have no regrets. I want to be able to look back and to know, just like he, I’ve smiled way, way more than I’ve frowned.

Loveya, truly… Happy day, Victurd

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Hey, Unc...when can we do lunch?

Love you.