Monday, September 01, 2008

Write on….

Victor, you must write. NO!!!! It’s the weekend! It’s a Holiday!

It’s Labor Day, hop to it.

K, dammit! Gotta fitty-four cent “small senior coffee” giggle at Mickey D’s this morning.. Seems two parachutists, jumping out to take this game ball to start the North Carolina football game were a bit confused.

“Ralph, look like this is just about where we should jump out?”…. “Yep, let’s go, you first.”

Land they did. At Duke Stadium. Some eight miles away from the North Carolina Stadium. Oh shit.

Wow does that sometimes resemble life. We’re ready to jump - we do, and sonofabitch “this ain’t the right place… but hell… I can’t bootscoot back up into the airplane… what now?”

I’ve even found myself “I’ve been in the right place, but it musta been the wrong time.”

However, this weekend has been a damned good one. Victor, no one cares about your weekend. Hey, I know that, but this is a blog. My blog. I think we old farts kinda sorta usedta call it a diary ya know? K, have at. Thanks. I will.

Friday night. Great nephew’s HS football game. He scored a touchdown, ran for two separate 2 point conversions, had his name mentioned on tackles hella many times.. And ever greater, he’s a wonderful young man. Got-to visit with my two nieces. Something that just doesn’t happen very often. It’s kinda sorta all we have left and rare is the day the three of us share together.

Saturday. Went to best friend’s 6th grade son’s Pee Wee football game. This man and his family mean a lot to me, and I treasured the time.

Saturday night. With another friend watching Missouri kick booty in football. Victor, that’s a lotta football. Yes, yes it was. Enjoyable however.

Sunday. I’d gotten an email from first cousin. Lives in same town, we’re all “from” Fulton, some two and one-half hours East’a here. Regarding the uncle that had gone from upright to bedridden, to just a matter of time. “Going down and back for the day, leaving at 8:15am. Holler if you wanna go.”

Seventy-three different things I needed to do Sunday, but somehow they all felt insignificant compared to the opportunity to go, see this man I love, and help be supportive. VERY glad I went. Talked old times. His days in the Merchant Marines.. The places he’d been. Korea, Hawaii, Sweden, Thailand, Guam, Cuba… “So Hawaii was probably your favorite?”… “Nope, Sweden.”

Had a picture of he and two other handsome dudes, 18 years old, all. They were in a bar in Havana. One of the fellers was his best friend whom enlisted with him in the buddy plan. One too many Rum and Cokes later the buddy stands up and yells “I’m a Baptist, I’m from Fulton, Missouri, and I hate Cuba!”.. Run they did, back to the Base. Whew. Made it.

“I’m ready to go… I’ve had a wonderful life.. I know I’m going one of two places.. Doesn’t matter.. I’m just ready.”

As we walked out of the room, we knew we’d never see him again. Tears ran down the face of my cousin’s kid. Internal tears happened to us older farts. A good man. If there is sucha thing as a good end, he’s having it.

He’d one day called his son in to the bedroom. “Go get the key that’s hidden ______. You’re the only one I trust with it. Then go get the strong box, it’s ______________.” Inside was everything that meant something to him in life. Including a will.

My uncle lost his wife 15 years or so ago. He’d met a wonderful lady some five years later, and she is assisting the family by spending a ten hour shift daily with him. “Now let’s talk about the obituary.” “Ok” his son replied. “I want Betty in there.” “We can do that dad, we’ll put “also surviving his special friend Betty.” “No, I want “VERY special friend Betty.” Ok dad, we’ll list “Very special friend Betty.” Relieved he was. As was his son.

One day we’ll all get to Glenn’s point. Where hope of tomorrow doesn’t compare at all to the hope of today. It’s our time now. We must live without regrets. We must tell those we love - we love ‘em. We must cherish the sights along the way. We must continually smile, for it beats the hell out of the alternative.

Time is short. Life is fleeting. As always, remember, I’m here to talk to me. Hitch hikers welcome. Don’t let the little shit bug you. Smile in the face of adversity. Love like there’s no tomorrow, for one day there won’t be.

I’m very glad I put off the 73 things I needed to do yesterday. Oddly, it’s been a wonderful weekend. Life has it’s treasures. Glenn is one of them. As is my best friend. My great nephew, my nieces, my runnin’ buds, my cousins, my cousin’s kids. The weekend hasn’t been Labor at all. To the contrary, it’s been virtually picture perfect.

Ok, I’m done blabbing. Sorry! Loveya, Victurd.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Ya had to go and do it again. I'm sobbing. Thank you. Good.cleansing.tears.

I love you.