Friday, September 26, 2008

Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of beer….

Five bottles of ‘sense’ on the wall, five bottles of ‘sense’…. take one down, pass it around, there’ll be four bottles of ‘sense’ on the wall…

Smell. If I hadta lose one, I’d give up smell. In addition to the wonderful aromas like pine, vanilla, a BBQ, orange, heavenly cologne/body wash,… there’s that stuff that just ain’t too pleasant…

Yes, I’m talkin’ farts, poop, exhaust, stench, mold, BO, bleach, ammonia, factories, yada yada.

It would be interesting without smell - but again, first I’d give up…

Four bottles of sense on the wall, four bottles of sense… take one down pass it around, there’ll be three bottles of sense on the wall….

Hmmm. A little tougher choice… figure though - hell, if I could live without smell, then why not without taste… Ya can’t just smell that coffee brewin’, then what the hey, might as well give up taste too if forced.. I’ve always been a kinda “can subsist on little” when it comes to food. Don’t get me wrong, I ain’t dainty - but, a jar’a peanut butter, a pack’a bologna, and a loaf’a bread will easily get me through the week.

Three bottles of sense on the wall, three bottles of sense, take one down, pass it around, there’ll be two bottles of sense on the wall…

Hmmm… Eenie meanie miney moe.. We gots touch, hear and see left… If I must - it’d be sound. Yes, could live without. Would be difficult - but could manage. My cousin taught and coached at the Missouri School for the Deaf - those kids were as normal as normal can be. Fun, they had fun. Perhaps due to them not ever knowing the reality of audile, mebbe God gave ‘em all a little extra pizzazz - ‘cause of all the times I was around the kids.. They were happy, fun, blessed, ‘normal.’

Two bottles of sense on the wall, two bottles of sense, take one down pass it around there’ll be one bottle of sense on the wall..

Gulp. So, I can no longer smell the wonders… taste the scrumptious… hear the magnificent.. Brings us down to touch and see… The gift of touch is a really wondrous thing. One can very much so communicate via touch.. Touch says “I like’, “I love”, “stop”, “relax”, “I’m sorry, it’ll be ok”, “fun”. Touch ‘says’ a lot. But I’d give it up over sight.

Would be weird.. Couldn’t type.. Really couldn’t feed yourself.. Tie your shoes, zip your zip, wipe your never mind, brush your teeth, rubadubdub your bod with soap, pet your loved one, pet your hound/cat/hamster/rabbit/snake/whateverkindaanimalulike, shake hands, turn the light on/off, the faucet on/off, the stove on/off (what the hey, why cook anyways, can’t taste it or smell it).. Would be difficult without touch, but I’d make it…

One bottle of sense on the wall, one bottle of sense, take it down, pass it around there’ll be no bottles of sense on the wall..

I know there are many examples, role models..of folks that are visually impaired - yet led brilliantly wonderful lives.. Ray Charles, Helen Keller, Homer, Monet, Little Stevie, Feliciano, Degas…

I can’t imagine a world without sight. It’s our everything. Yes, yes, I know if I had the other senses - life could be led without sight.. But of all of the senses - I would think losing this one would leave one the most dependent upon others.

If I was blind, I think I’d have’ta be taught “proper”.. .’cause I’d wanna place my hands allover everything/everybody to come to ‘know’ them better.. To somehow ‘see’ with my hands.. We’ve all played that game with the blindfold - something’s placed infronta you and you’re left to feel, guess, discover…

I so enjoy the marvel of sight. Sight is entertainment. The seasons. The time of day. The grace of an animal. The wild and wacky world of the human. The Earth. Natural stuff. Man-made stuff. Thanks ole Lord, I do appreciate my sight..

High five, and thankful I still gots my five. I reckon sometimes we gotta take stock of our gifts, and to remember to be thankful for them. Makes sense to me. Sensical. I sense you agree? You gotta, it’s common sense.

K. Gotta run. Wow, that takes touch. And sight to guide me along the way. Hope no one farts in my path. Off the grab the fitty-four cent senior coffee at Mikey D’s.. I can already taste it. Love, Non-smelly Victurds……

No comments: