Wednesday, September 10, 2008

If I could save time in a bottle

The first thing that Id like to do
Is to save every day
Till eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you

Now I know – no, not for a fact.. but it’s my guess, the two reasons Jim Croce wrote this song are… 1) to get laid.. and 2) to get rich. Notta bad MO. Thinking ‘everyday-like’, insteada ‘relationship-wise’, this song does rock. To me, it’s what life’s all about. Mosta the time, yes, the damn sand just goes thru there and it’s uneventful. But.. those moments, you know the ones – be it a family holiday together.. coworkers at Happy Hour minutes after work… visiting with a bud from long ago.. yes, time in a bottle. I do hereby promise to think to myself “this is a time in a bottle moment.”

If I could make days last forever
If words could make wishes come true
Id save every day like a treasure and then,
Again, I would spend them with you

No, every day’s not a treasure realistically – but within every day there are treasures. And I enjoy spending them with you. The interaction here, with friends at work, with my relatives, with my running buds/best friends.. simply living/enjoying life is making wishes come true.

But there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them
Ive looked around enough to know
That youre the one I want to go
Through time with

We select who we spend time with. Sure, if you’re lucky enough to be in a monogamous relationship – then this song certainly speaks to you. But, for those of us alone on the Sealy Posturepedic, it also addresses our life. There doesn’t seem to be enough time to have “time in a bottle moments” AND get all the ‘have to’s’ of life accomplished. Mebbe in hindsight, the monogamous thing one can do both whilst intermixing.

If I had a box just for wishes
And dreams that had never come true
The box would be empty
Except for the memory
Of how they were answered by you

We all have a box for wishes. The saying escapes me – but it’s the one where you’re looking at the pot on the stove, and no matter how many times u stare, how closely you follow it – it ain’t gonna cook any faster thanks to ur eyeballs. Same with wish boxes. We open them bastards up, sit beside and wait – we lose out on ‘time in a bottle’ moments. What the saying about “wish in one hand”?.. We (fancy for “Victor, YOU”) need to simply go, do. Time in a bottle will happen – and mebbe even one day the box or wishes will fill.

But there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them
Ive looked around enough to know
That youre the one I want to go
Through time with

I’ve lived my life, pretty much, by spending time with “the ones I want to go through time with”.. We all do, for the most part. I pity the fool that doesn’t. Dated a lady recently – her words were “I was in a 20+ year marriage that I knew I shoulda left after two years.” Wow. She admitted she stayed for her children, but still.

Pets. Little kids. Christmas. The first snow. Meet and greet with old friends. A wedding. An evening on the deck with friends. A softball game. Recanting the softball game for hours after. A child’s sporting event. Everyday interaction with family. Blogging. Seeing a comment addressed to a blog. Inbox full of notes, silly jokes from buds. First kisses. Looking at bank balance the morning after the midnight automatic paycheck deposit. There’s lots to fill up that bottle. I do promise to hereby make a note to tap myself on the shoulder and state “Victor, this is one of those time in a bottle moments. Please acknowledge and appreciate that.”

I will. A promise. I hadn’t remembered the end of Jim Croce’s life until I just Wiki’ed it. Sad. Plane crash just as his meteoric rise started. Reminds us. Fleeting. All the more reason to capture those moments in a bottle. Brb. Going to get me a bottle. Big one. Throwing this wish box in the dumpster. Go. Do. Capture. Boogie til ya die, love Victurd.

No comments: