Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Blackbird singing in the dead of night

Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Broken wings. Reckon we all have them at one time or another in our lives. Be it marriage, job, children, moods… And yes, we wait for that moment to fly, again. All our life, waiting for this moment to arise.


Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free

Sunken eyes. As youth we want sun, fun. At fitty-something we think “why’d I do that shit? I coulda maybe had as much fun doing something indoors… LOOK AT ME!”.. Oh well, happens to all’a us.


Blackbird fly
Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night

NO! I don’t want the dark! I don’t wanna fly! I can’t see! Who knows whats around the corner – who knows if ker-plunk one day again an ‘accident’ will happen, more broken wings – and once again I’ll find myself back here in the same spot singing in the dead of the night…

Blackbird fly
Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night

But it’s skeery out here! How doya know a person in a matter of days, weeks, months well enough to file the same flight pattern?

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

It’s funny, I guess. We reach these points in life where the wings are just about healed – and there’s caution, tepidness, fear – to actually jump back outta the tree. Fear of free fall. Fear of “Groundhog Day” and having the same shit happen. Why fly and expose one’s ‘wings’ to having your feelings, emotions yanked again?
Kinda like exercise – and the hardest part being “getting out the front door” … ‘flying’ can be a difficult thing at fitty. Or forty. Or twenty-eight. Or sixty-three.

Tune in tomorrow when we might sing “will you still need me when I’m sixty-four”… or “what would you do if I sang outta tune?”… or, “and I love her”.. or.. “can’t buy me love”.. “saw her standing there.”.. “If I fell”… “yesterday.”.. “Kansas City”…

I was only waiting for this moment to arise.

Victurd, u old sumbitch, you've already done this one. NUH UH! Oh yeah, wait a minute. I did. Back in 1981. Fly robin fly. Love, Victurd.

No comments: