Saturday, September 20, 2008

She arrived at 8:25am….

Sutherlands parking lot. (Local hardware chain, adjacent to Mickey D’s)….

I was under a shade tree, drinking my fitty-four cent Senior coffee… reading the Sport’s page… wondering why they were parked where they were parked.. Kinda in the middle of nowhere…

Car pulls up, I hear “DADDY!”.. . Yes, the ‘handoff’….

He (son) gets out excitedly, runs to his pa’s car. She, the mom, very attractive young’s, digs in the back door for belongings to get the boy through however long he’s to be with dad.

Dad, very casually dressed, ballcap, goes to passenger side, funnels the lad into the back seat, straps him in and is ready to accept the necessities from his ex…

She, in a fancified ‘wife beater’ top, leans over to handoff… She looked very good - and in her bending over, surely her cleavage was exposed to the ex. I wondered if he thought to himself “what the hell was I thinking”, or, perhaps if it was she that philandered, “that’s disgusting.”

The lad looked happy, thus I deemed dad treated him pretty well… Mom walked back to car after leaning in the backseat, planting a kiss, walking away with “I LOVE YOU BUDDY!”…

As each opened their doors to whisk away for another weekend/week of “your time, my time” she added… “Halloween?”… “Yes?” he replied… “It’s on a Friday this year.. And Saturday the next.” I couldn’t hear the remainder of their conversation - but obviously, they both adored the kid - and they each wanted time with the boy, and they each we comfy allowing the other parent time as well.

What happens in relationships that turns the question from “whaddya wanna do for dinner tonight” into “what about Thanksgiving (or Christmas, his birthday, first day of school, etc.)

We’ve (yes, myself included) have become a society of non-sticktoit’ness. Easier to walk away than work through. “For the moment” logic. Something’s slipped from the lessons of those that proceeded us. “Looking out for #1” has replaced “Looking out for us.”

I am the father in a divorce with a child. I am a big believer in the ACLU. I don’t like government treading on me. However, I wonder if there should be a rule for mandatory birth control for at least the first four years of marriage. Yes, that’s infringing. No, it will never happen. Yes, perhaps it’s crazy.

Perhaps if there was that rule/law, the world would be without the benefit of that bright-eyed, handsome lil shit in the back seat. That’s not good. But too, there wouldn’t be quite as many ‘handoffs’, the child having this bed, that bed, this dresser, that toothbrush there, this one here. This set’a rules, that set’a rules.

I remember from my own childhood how much I enjoyed sitting between my parents at dinner time… on the sofa.. In the porch swing.. I regret this child won’t have these memories…

As I drove home, weirdly the sky was a tremendous hue of blue… two large puffy clouds alone in the sky - and not far away one very smaller. It was Godlike, it truly was.

Eh, I guess when clouds “gather” storms happen, so I oughta quit being so idealistic huh? But too, when they gather, mebbe it’s akin to sex huh?

Handing off, for your opine. I’m the baby, gotta love me… and I’m very thankful that I received that love from both, at the same time.

Love, Victurd

No comments: