Saturday, April 19, 2008

Don’t worry be happy….

.Went to McDonalds this morning for my El Cheapo discounted coffee, and had a momentary "to hell with the Biggest Loser Contest at work" and feasted on a sausage burrito. This made me happy. No Sports page in the newspaper rack, damnit, sad.

Four college boys from same small, liberal arts school I attended… Fun, lively, a happy age.

Granny, so slow to walk, fetched the newspaper back to the rack - saw a lady looking thru the depleted items that were now down to the grocery and want ads, handed her the paper. That was happy.

Read an article all about "the older we get, the happier we are." Twas a study done from 1972 to present - and it said it was true. Ya think?

Drove home, searched to try to find the article again online, couldn't.. but found some others. One from '06 said "Republicans are happier than Dems…. Married happier than unmarried… churchgoers happier than non-churchgoers.. Those with household incomes in excess of $100,000 happier than those with a combined less than $30,000.. 36% of whites happy, 34% of Hispanics happy, 28% of blacks happy… Owning a pet means no difference in happiness than not owning one… Retired about equally as happy as working folks..

That article was so-so. The next one I found hit the nail on the head. ""What is most interesting about this study is that people who think they are aging well are not necessarily the (healthiest) individuals," said lead researcher Dilip Jeste of the University of California at San Diego.
"In fact, optimism and effective coping styles were found to be more important to successfully aging than traditional measures of health and wellness," Jeste said. "These findings suggest that physical health is not the best indicator of successful aging—attitude is." RIGHT ON BROTHER BEN! Oops, forgot, I ain't been going to church.

I am white. I ain't Republican. I ain't married. I do have pets, but like they say "so what?" (I say "what" - they make me even happier!..) Household income over $100,00? Lemme peek at my check stub, brb…. Darnit! No!

I do, mosta the time, like my attitude. Victor, don't pat your own back. Can't. Can't reach it, so there!

Here's the results of my study, which began…ohhhh. roughly 1952 or so… I think happiness is all about "the millisecond." Newton's Law proclaims for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. Whatever the stimuli is - it's that millisecond of how we react to it. Might be someone walking down the street approaching us. How do we react? Turn our head? Stare straight ahead and not make eye contact? Or do we learn to be friendly and have a fun millisecond?

Someone irritates us, how do we respond? Holds the door open for us? Bumps into us? Looks at us as if to measure up our race, dress, economic status (or lack thereof)? Avoids us?

It's easy to be happy with good stimuli. When's the last time you frowned after sex? A fun movie? Watching your kid play ball? Seeing a family member? Waking at Christmas?

It's all the other times that are critical. And no, I ain't on the pulpit damnit - again, I write for ME, to me. Anyone welcome here - and anyone welcome to dispute.

Happy to report, I do not have to call Judge Judy (yesterday's blog.) I am here to highly recommend Meineke Auto Shoppe in Liberty, MO. They fixed my car Wednesday. Cost exactly what he quoted me before they pulled it into the bay. Overheated on me Thursday, had it towed back in to Meineke that night ($88).. As I walked in around 5:30pm to pick it up, I got my debit card out.. Hal (owner/manager) hands me the keys and says "You're all set."

WHAT? No $452 bill to fix the cooling problem? No $88 tow? "There was a valve we forgot to bleed once we finished putting your power steering pump on, completely our fault, and I apologize." Wow, talk about happy! And ya know what? I think it made Hal happy. I for sure know I'll recommend folks to his shop, and I for sure know I'll go back. Hal had adversity staring him in the face - and he turned it into happiness, mine and his.

I'm gonna go now. Out seeking life's stimuli. Practice up on my millisecond reactions. Work on that attitude. Maybe even go to church, vote for McClain, and apply for a hunderd thou job. I'll pet my cat on the way though.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Ain't that what it's all about? Don't worry (worry is like being in a rocking chair..…"it will give you something to do, but get you nowhere" right Misty?) be happy.

I ain't heard back from Glenn, the hotel hiring feller. Tis ok, I'll handle the millisecond should it not be a good end. Hal learnt me. Everyone learns me. Kids learn me. Elderly learns me. Pets learn me. It's about choice. Attitude. Reaction. Getting laid. (Sorry, just threw that one in for fun!)..

May your days and nights be fun filled and happy. Love, Victurd

No comments: