Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Punxsutawney Phil

One million, two-hundred eleven thousand, five-hundred-thirty seven Hawaiians could give a
ratsass…

We all know the story… this Saturday, February 2nd, Punxsutawney Phil will come out… if he can see his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter.. If he cannot, spring is on it’s way. (I like to think of myself as a “glass half full” kinda guy - but with 4-6” of snow predicted for tomorrow - it ain’t looking good.)

We too remember Bill Murray and his trek in Groundhog’s Day - where he’d awaken, and live February 2nd over, and over, and over again. Stuck.

I COULD remark about my house, the upgrading it needs, the financial wherewithal to do same nonexistent, and pity my party to Valentine’s Day… but in reality, life ain’t bad.

I have a minimum of one “hee haw” a day. I THANK those I work with for bringing their smile - so I can ape it. I love remembering, whilst important, what I do to feed Maynard and I is “just stuff.”

I “Bill Murray” daily and bemoan the fact I ain’t seena shadow or a fine booty emerge from my bed since… well, I forget if it was Bill or George W. that was in office….

Remember u foggers (said with love) I write to ME, and this is what this is.

I delight in ‘regular’. I LOVE pulling into work and seeing same faces day in, day out. I actually, in spitea my hella mortgage payment - smile when I pull in the driveway.

I look at my son and see good - when so many only record the bad.

I look at my bank balance - say “oh well” and go enjoy the hell outta a McDonald’s McChicken (ketchup only) and a water.

I watch my Tigers falter in a hoops game, and remember the loooong three-pointers they dropped in…

I see my mother’s casket, yet a moment later she’s bringing out a tray of Kool-Aid for me and the Flanigans…

I hear my father’s whistle… I see my sister’s (wonderful) shit-eaten grin… I catch Gabe, our old hound, in the yard on his back, scraping and twisting to solve that itch.…

I listen to Gary Lezak, hear 13 degrees and remember what it felt like to play 7 softball games on one July day and to do the Nestea plunge into the pool.

I see the vacant spot and I remember it occupied.

I talk as I drive - and imagine the response she’ll have.

I read the obits, thank God for another day, and think “ya know, if it ended today, I’d be Ok.. I’ve had an incredible life.”

I go to crank the Hot…. Rod… Lincoln, ye of one kicked in rear door, the passenger front door that “when it wants to” will fly open whilst driving.. The friggin’ driver’s window that never heard the song “what goes up, must come down.” And I’m thankful it starts. Gets me from Point A to Point B.

I “Bill Murray” it outta bed… go to work… same path… same “Hi Annette… I’d like a cuppa coffee, some salted peanuts and apacka Basic Light Shorts in a box”… and just when I think I’m watching the same day over and over… the subject of “good deeds“ came up… - I ask onea the nicest people I work with “when’s the last time you did a good deed?”.. She comes back with (almost tearfully… she’s my age... Mid fitties).. “This morning… every morning I go and clean up my father… get him dressed… cook his breakfast.. And come to work.” Damn daddy. And I worry about Bill Murray days, no bed partner, and the Bank of the West ATM’s laughter when I do a “balance inquiry” thingy…

I watch K-State thump KU for the first time in Manhattan, KS since 1983 (sorry Kendra, Lisa, Connie) and I thank God for athletics and all the enjoyment it’s brought me in my life…

I read the paper where 5 (of 12) players for my beloved Missouri Tigers are suspended for violation of team rules. I praise the coach - and I remember no matter what we do, there’s a consequence for our bad actions.

I come home and write excitedly, even though there ain’t nothing you’d consider exciting going on in my life.

I can’t wait for tomorrow -for I know it’s the last GD day I gotta wear slacks/shirt, the trash guy will pickup the 3 smelly bags of trash that have been in the kitchen, and that’s it’s exactly one week until payday.

My life is spectacularly unspectacular, if that makes sense. Why, I think I kinda even remember what it felt like the last time I had an ‘organism”… Let’s see… Oh yeah… “her”…

Life is roulette.. “Dammit, this time my number didn’t come up, I can’t wait for the next spin.”

Life is a roller coaster “oh shit, I just peed my pants on that downhill, but, me thinks they’ll dry off as we trudge to the top…”

“My team lost. Thank goodness they start at 0-0 again when play again Saturday“…

Thank GOODNESS for “the Bank of the Victurd”… for it holds every transaction in life I recall… all my friends, the stories, the laughs… all my loves, the beginnings, the ends, and the nifty stuff inbetween… my family… money in the bank.. Own a piece of the rock.. Great investment…

I really think.. Whateverinthehell happens 2/2 with “Phil” - it ain’t gonna affect me much. So what if it’s a Bill Murray day - what better than to repeat a wonderful day/moment within.

Thanks for being here…. HEY.. If you see your shadow Saturday - think back where all it’s been.. And the good times therein… if you don’t see your shadow… hot damn, go and have a bigass slaba ribs or.. A salad DRENCHED with Ranch dressing.

Seeya next time, regardless if it’s spring or winter… both are exciting… Love, Victurd.

No comments: