Saturday, January 05, 2008

Of being a freshman in life....

No, not “fresh man”, freshman. As in ‘start’. Beginning. Life’s stops include many starts. Re-starts. Just when we think we got this crap all figured out - we find ourselves once again nervously walking down the halls of life.

2008. We’re all freshman allover again. Exciting in that opportunity abounds - scary in that we must have the necessary faith in ourselves. The fear of the unknown, surrounded by the ability to make it how we want.

I’ll never forget my freshman year. Our high school had four grades in it, Freshman through Senior… We’d all turned the corner from “playing with army guys” to “holy crap, look at the booty on that one!”.. Diminutive in size with humongous gazing capabilities.. We learned from the older folks - little did they know they role modeled... Then, a bit later - little did we know we role modeled.

Life’s a continuous thing… There are days when I wake up - should be very very thankful of that in and of itself… that I wanna hit the snooze and say “nah…. Not today.”.. Then there are events, muchlike the first all-school dance back in the day - where we spring onto the floor - take that peek in the mirror, smile and think “this is gonna be fun.”

We’re starting over with our friends. We can pickup a book if they drop it. We can be an ear if they need it. We can jointly pull some prank on another freshman. We can run to them if we find ourselves in a time of need. I suppose nowadays even a text message could be a pity party.

We start the year with this coldass crap… and perhaps that’s good… buddy-o-mine at work… as he walked out the door in 14 degree temp with 20 mph northerly wind to join me in a smoke, said “I can’t wait until summer.”

2008, we hope we see spring. There’s still some confused birds making their way south.. We can’t wait for the “sophomore days” and their return - for the grass will literally be greener. Sometime in the junior portion of the year we will boat, jet ski, hike, canoe, swim, run, walk, sweat, gather, party, and suckup all the broadened daylight hours between the semesters…

Fall, the beginning of being a senior, is time for reflection of the fun part of the freshman year… We’re teased with summer like days, and reminded of what’s ahead by frost on the pumpkin. Winter allows us to ‘senior ourself’.. you know, like wear white patent leathers, hike our pants up over the belly button, bitch about taxes, politiciansm the cold - all whilst slip-sliding around these Midwestern roads.

The “graduation”, the last week and a half of the year - are celebratory… We gaze at the bright eyes of the ones that ain’t close to being a freshman… and we’re thankful of the ‘alums’ that surround us…

Sometimes 2008, I don’t feel like doing it. Occasionally, I don’t wanna be a freshman again. I mebbe just wanna lay in bed until I see that first robin. Until I hear “play ball” come on the radio.. Then I remember what that backseat kiss felt like… how cool it was when I was handed a note by a bright-eyed beauty… the repor and education granted by those senior to ourselves… the fun we had in building friendships as a freshman.. The lifelong ties we made.. And I get excited..

We’re continually placed in “freshmanhood.” Be it a new job. A new mate. Being a parent. Being a grandparent. Making that new friend. Getting used to that new Hot… Rod… Lincoln.. A new house. A fancified new gadget. On a committee. Organizer. Overseer. Manager.. Teacher.. Learner.. Yes, even a new year.

With the exception of one Roger C - a senior who made mosta my year hell, which included pulling a knife on me in the hall, I loved being a freshman. I remember it as thinking I actually knew what the L word meant, felt like. I remember learning to look up to slightly older peers.. I remember helping the little ones not in high school. Being a freshman is educational and fun.

Life whittles us back into freshmanhood, and starting 2008 is no exception. Perhaps Lennon said it best.. “It'll be just like starting over, starting over….. Let's take a chance and fly away somewhere…Starting over.”

Gotta go now. Mom’s dropping me off at the Koo Koo Drive In. Rumor has it Sam G, class of ‘69, is gonna drive around the joint 69 times. Shotgun passenger, Vic R, class of ‘70, has promised he’ll then get out and walk the final, 70th lap. God it’s great being a freshman. May you enjoy your laps. Love, Victurd.

No comments: