Sunday, January 06, 2008

Seven Hills Road….

Umpteen years ago (Victor, we notice a pattern here)… there was this wonderful two mile gravel strip containing seven, count ‘em, seven wonderful hills. I’m not talking easy grade hills, I’m talking Space Mountain, Mamba, Timber Wolf hills. It was our “country” (Worlds of Fun) when “country wasn’t cool” (Worlds of Fun wasn’t built yet.)..

At least once a month, we’d entrust onea our snotnose 16 yr old friends, equipped with the 3rd car of the family (bad tires, needing jumpstart every twelfth start, headliner either gone or falling) - to take us over the course of this masterpiece of a gravel roller coaster. It was our fun before I-POD’s, cell phones, instant messages, “Oh Richard“, “Word.”… I swear to goodness the front tires of Craven’s ‘61 red Ford Fairlane were airborne atop the 4th hill…

In the Sunday spin today… Maynard and I gallivanted allover town… “Remember when we lived there?”…. “That’s where Tom lives.” Interspersed with “my homeboy’s grandpa owns that house and that house right there… rich sonofabitches.”

We’d gone past every place either of us had ever tossed a baseball, gone to school, lived, local monument… it was time to introduce Maynard to Seven Hills Road..
“Road Closed ahead.” WHAT? You can’t do that to a legend! You can’t stop fun! That’s anti-American!

I guess everything ends.… We all come upon a roadblock… So the old titillation we knew as kids - a pretty dangerous 2-lane stretch of ultimate free pleasure - had eroded to where now it was impassible.

Relationships and roadblocks. The hell is it that makes that CJ/Bobby bond (two good friends ‘o mine that have been together forever and ever, and will eternally be together forever and ever) - versus the roadblocks that come upon relationship?

There are quick roadblocks.. “Yes Yes Yes-your blog is alittle weird and alittle too 50 trying to be 25 kind of attitude for me.”

And then there was “I think you’re a really nice lady and all, but I don’t find it quite as funny as you that the pictures you sent were eight years old.”

“Victor, you’re a good man. However, you will probably never quit smoking, and you will probably never show the necessary fortitude with your son, thus, arevaderche.”

“Buyer’s remorse.” It’s happened both ways.. You know, when you see a house initially you REALLY REALLY want…. Then you go back… and back again… and you start to notice little things that just ain’t Goldilocks right. Cracks in the wall. Symmetrics that make moving with ease impossible. Realism replaces goo-goo-gah-gah…

I used to enjoy your touch, now it kinda bugs me.

I’m attracted to others at work.

I’d never heard you yell before like that… and when you were yelling at your child.. I got-at thinking’ “hmmmm… I wonder if I’m next?” (Thought silently)

The silent treatment… oh the silent treatment. I’ve been on both ends - and it’s dreadful. The road is blocked - but there are no signs, no explanations. I’m still debating whether it really should be called a shitty heart insteada a good heart when you don’t want to admit to “I don’t like this, I don’t like that.” Again, I’ve been a schmuck, and I’ve been schmucked on. Is not spouting hurt out worse than not spouting out at all?

And then there was the biggie. “Victor, it’s 2am, I’m too drunk to drive home, I’m staying at my sister’s.” Uh huh. I’m thinking’ "yes, please, Ill take those four acres in the Everglades” here. Road was blocked, and a 180 was made.

Blocking a road takes a street crew and a sign-maker, just as a relationship ending (mebbe even before it really began) takes two.

Pure white concrete Interstates, steady and solid - where cars go swiftly, mostly safely, and there’s no turning back (ie, good relationships) take two as well. I’ve said “til death do us part..”… twice… I meant it both times. I cried the second when I said it ‘cause I’d already said it.

I guess it’s all about maintenance… taking care of the dips, the curves, the hills and the valleys. Belted in of free will. Taking time to enjoy the scenery - going her way this time, your way the next.

I will really miss Seven Hills Road. Whilst occasionally one gets some yucky tar on one’s tires/wheel well, a wheel outta alignment here/there..… I don’t have a lot of regrets for the roads I’ve taken in my life. You?

Love, Victurd

No comments: