Friday, July 20, 2018

Now listen here Sonny.,... Back in my day...

Oh no.. Now what?

Was just thinking, The Good, The Bad, the Ugly...

Heaven knows we've seemingly had our share of all three for quite some time..

For the specific purpose of positively, let's leave out the Bad and the Ugly.

I got to thinking, wanting to thank 'role models'... Then, I had a conversation with myself, "what are the characteristics of a role model?" Yes, scary, to talk to one's self, but me thinks we all do it. In fact, I think we talk with ourselves more than any durn person on this animal planet. (My 'sister-outlaw' probably talks to her dogs more, but, story for another day!)

OK OK, so what'd you find? What are the characteristics?

An interesting (to me) Google. Virtually everywhere I turned, searched, read - spoke to "role models of children." And while I will certainly toast to that - I don't think there's a durn thing wrong with being 60-something, or 80-something, or 40-something, or any-something and still having role models.

It's certainly been noted my brain takes a weird path. Funerals, again, to me, can be a good indicator of role model. Ya see a full parking lot? Ya see filled to the gills pews of folks? Overflowing so, that folks don't mind standing in the back. Notice them handkerchiefs?

What'd we lose? We lost a person who showed passion and had an ability to inspire. He/she had a clear set of values. With, a commitment to community. Selflessness and acceptance of others. The ability to overcome obstacles.

Moral. Confident. Hardworking. Respectful. Optimistic and creative. Walked the talk.

Then why are people crying at the funeral?

They impacted us and there is definate loss, emptiness. Mebbe too, we forgot to say thanks along the way. Mebbe we never told 'em "You were a role model for me and you've positively affected my life - thank you."

Again, virtually every dot.com article I read spoke to 'role models to children'... oh, there were a few addressing "role models as a boss" and I am big time all about that one too - I had some really good ones, and then again, we are dropping "The Bad, The Ugly" from this conversation. Ha!

My take, the older I get, the more I see, appreciate, role models. The happier it makes me, the more I cherish, admire. To me, you don't have to be a kid to have a role model. One can even be retired and have one (or fifty).

HOW DO THESE PEOPLE DO IT? DON'T THEY LIVE IN THE SAME, SOMETIMES POOPY WORLD WE DO?

Writing a blog allows for personal feelings to surface. I wholeheartedly agree with all of the above characteristics - but blogging allows me to mebbe add a few.

He/she had fun. Not too much, but knew how to, when to. Demonstrated humility when necessary. Smiled, often, even in the scope of Bad, Ugly. The typea person, that when you extended your hand for them to shake - they'd grab it and place their second hand on yours. Role models do that, they have a way of making you feel good about yourself.

My sister. Oh boy, this is gonna be biased. Yes, yes it is. But also demonstrated. My sister could load up the whole fam (extended) damily, drive us here, take us there, show us this/that, smile, laugh, PAY FOR EVERYTHING - and as the day, weekend, trip, drive ended - you'd get outta the car - and she just had a way to thank YOU, make YOU think you were responsible for all that. Role models do that. She deflected praise on herself and showered it on us, and everyone around. She was a role model. Pews overflowed. Hankies came out.

We all see 'em. They're out there. The person who is consistent, there when needed, always. The one that's worked every Saturday at the food shelter all of his adult life. The cross country coach whose wonderfulness brought over 100 kids out for the team annually, and from the view of his running shoes, #100 was JUST AS IMPORTANT as #1. (may he RIP, pews overflowed, hankies came out.) The lifelong friend you don't see real often - but find out from someone else "he's been to Haiti on many, many mission trips." Silent example - I think that's a trait as well.

Role models ain't fake news. They live, they breathe, they're out there. Thank God. And them. I know I planta try,

Before it's too late,
Love, Victurd

No comments: